View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 11:27 AM   #1
Tamawig
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Pearl Jam last night

The show was unbelievable. This is a review someone put up on a pearl jam site. I'm too lazy to do all that typing, so i'll put his up.

I just got back from the Pittsburgh show let me say- INCREDIBLE. 2 and a half hours, 28 songs. they opened with Small Town, and then powered through Hail Hail, Save You, Corduroy (with Ed doing a cool slide intro for a bit), Insignificance, Cropduster, before Ed addressed the crowd. Then came Daughter, without much of a tag. Even Flow was one of MANY jams throughout the night, which basically consisted of Mike going off for about 5 minutes. At one point, Mike ran all the way across the stage to Ed, who was watching on the side next to Boom, and did a crazy solo right in front of him. Then the boys pulled out Faithful! Sounded great, followed by a strong Whipping, and Immortality, a great version. They then plowed into Blood. After which Ed said "we usually play that song at the end of a set, cause its hard to sing much of anything after that. (pointing at his throat) But these things are made of steel. (Pittsburgh reference) and Matt plays titanium toms. And Mike and Stone both listen to a lot of metal. So overall we are pretty galvanized. Mike, give us a little bit of Nitro," and Mike proceeds to play about 10 secs of speed metal which was hysterical. They then play Down, Love Boat captain, Wishlist (with a long "give us the truth" style improv/outro). Ed lets the crowd sing the first verse of Better Man, and they do enthusiastically. They close with Go.

For the First Encore, Ed goes and speaks to all the band members, and then says "just so you know we aren't discriminatory people, as you will see with the body language of the next song." And the whole band turns around and plays Last Kiss to the crowd behind the stage. Breakerfall is next, followed by Once, Alive, and Footsteps (mamasan trilogy out of order). Alive has Ed using the mirror to light up the entire audience in turn, to the delight of everyone. afterwards, Ed notices the Skyboxes, which have been turning their lights on and off repeatedly for some time, creating a strobe effect, and laughs. He says "its the first time I've ever seen anyone in the skyboxes with any sort of creativity or enthusiasm. Jeff just said it looks like goddamn fuckin Hollywood squares up there!" the crowd loved this. Rearviewmirror is VERY long, a huge jam, stretching the song towards 10 mins, and closes the first encore. Ed returns solo after a few minutes and plays a great Hide Your Love Away. The band soars into Know Your Rights, which most of the crowd seems to be learning. Do the Evolution comes next, and then a REAL LONG Porch, with another extended jam featuring Mr. McCready soloing forever. They turn the house lights on and finish with Yellow Ledbetter. wow.... the band seemed to be having a great time... Mike jumping a lot, Jeff almost as much, and Eddie getting drunk off his wine. a great crowd in a good concert arena, and just an amazing show, one that will not be forgotten.

-Jamie Habberfield
Buffalo, NY

ps. thanks to dogstar for all the work hes been doing on the dust for life case.