View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Proof that God exists...

Now, as far as Bill Maher goes, I have not seen his film. Maybe I'll watch it one day, maybe I won't. To be honest, just having seen one scene from the trailer where he apparently made a point to talk to someone who claimed to be Jesus (serious or joking, I don't know) is really enough for me to kind of decide it's more than likely not worth my time.

But to call it a documentary is, imho an insult to those who actually make them with no bias. It's rare today, I'll admit to have people do much of anything in a truly objective manner with no bias or agenda. But Bill Maher is not a historian or an expert on languages, or on any religion. He's pretty much an avowed atheist or agnostic. I've seen it said that he's made a point to say that he's not an atheist, and I've seen it said where he actually indicated that he was. Regardless, he certainly has no great affection toward any religious beliefs. If he had made a documentary with the specific intent of seriously and rationally analyzing the bible and any other book or set of religious beliefs, that would be one thing. But he didn't, which brings me to what else Bill Maher is. He's a comedian, and he made a "documentary" with the help of the director of Borat in which he mostly went around talking to people with the intent of poking fun at those who have any kind of religious or spiritual beliefs.

Contrast that to Lee Strobel, who I mentioned in the other thread. Lee was an atheist/agnostic who didn't go out with a camera crew talking with people dressed up and claiming to be Jesus. He went out with a tape recorder and went to universities across the country, speaking with Christians who were also highly respected academicians. He posed questions and objections where he felt they were relevant, and respectfully allowed them to answer. He took a very judicial, journalistic, studious,and respectful approach to the matter at hand and when it was all said and done became a christian.

The claims made by Maher I'm sure are nothing new. It's easy to read a piece here and there by an "expert" and if you are a nonbeliever yourself except that as "evidence" that the bible is plagiarized or flawed in certain ways. The thing is, it's much more likely the plagiarism came from the other religions, and that's when there's a case for it at all. I've seen sources that say there's nothing in the ancient documents and Egyptian scholars don't claim or agree with the notion of a direct copy or similarity on either end between Jesus Christ and say, Osiris.

http://www.tektonics.org/copycat/osy.html

Some people believe the Old Testament stories in some instances are copied from the Sumerian stories. But when one considers there's great evidence that the Sumerian king known as Sargon the Magnificent was actually the bible's first murderer in Cain, and you understand who his father was, then it's not hard to see why he would want to pervert the real truth. Cain's true father was not Adam, and they were not eating apples in the Garden of Eden. If they were eating apples, why did they sew fig leaves over their private or sexual parts? Why are we talking about Eve's conception and her seed (children) and the serpent's (Satan's) seed (again, children)? Why do we have Christ later telling the Pharisees that they are of their father the devil, and teaching in a parable of the wicked one sowing a seed of people or children? Where's it say anything about an apple tree in Genesis?

These "documentaries" that come out, there's nothing new under the sun. I actually agree that people do get carried away with religious ideas. But there is still one shining light of truth, which I say is Jesus Christ. You mock and scoff at the notion that the bible provides truth, but as has already been mentioned, the more digging they do out in that part of the world, the more they find most of history and archaeology backs it up. It's also changed a whole lot of lives for the better too.

Jason