View Single Post
Old 02-24-2004, 03:15 PM   #14
WeatheredWoman
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) WeatheredWoman, thanks for moving your thread. I'm still impressed with all the information you gave us. I had to laugh when you said that when people are a little over the top, they are compared to Americans. I think that perhaps the movie industry in the U.S. has a little influence on the world, that shows us that way. Many lead very quiet lives, no guns, cowboys, wild lives or drugs. Although we do have all those things in our society, just not how movies would make it seem.

LOL!! Yes I have to agree with you that we've got all that Hollywood kinda stuff on tv... gossip-magazines etc. ... plastic surgery... (teens are gettin' nose-jobs for their 16th or 18th birthday??!!!! ) all that what we call "fake" stuff! Our showbusiness is very much down to earth! Just act normal, than you act silly enough -->> that's a Dutch saying, LOL!

Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) I was interested in the laws in your country, that are so different than ours. I have known that other countries were more relaxed than the U..S.A. regarding alcohol, but I didn't know about weed/pot. There are mixed feelings here about that, and some people want to use it for medical purposes. The Republicans in office now would never change that law.

Well I guess that's what Holland is famous for... drugs! I'm not very proud of that but alcohol is drugs too! But that's more common and tolerated... in fact alcohol does even do more damage when you're addicted to it!
When you know how to use any kind of drugs in a safe way... it's ok! Ancient tribes use/used it too. Anything that stands for "too much" or "addiction" or "an escape out of reality" isn't right! Right now they are trying to get some kind of marihuana in Health Care... to become prescripted drugs. (grammar??)

Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) Our president is also proposing to change the U.S. constitution, so that gay marriages would never be legal. You of course know my views on that subject, and I am for gay marriage, but many in our country are very against it.

Hey! Let them get married! They have the right to suffer from marriage as much as we (heterosexuals) do too!! LOL!!! j/k
Yes they have every right!! Definately!

Quote: (Originally Posted by whitebird) Many people are immigrating to the U.S.A. too, we just have more areas and land still available than your country has, and I can understand how is stressful to have very different cultures living closley together, when their ways and customs do not blend well. Time will hopefully help.

Being a woman in both our countries seems very much alike, as we have freedom that some countries do not have. I can understand what you mentioned about people killing family members in their own culture as now becoming a problem in your country. I am surprised that your country didn't take this very seriously right from the start.

It all started back in the early 70s when there was too much (dirty) work and too little (Dutch) people to clean that "dirty" work. Our government decided to "import" at first italians and then turks and marocs to our country because they were very cheap employees. They're coming ever since way back when, when it all started. The children of those people and their children are raised in a 2-cultured way... what leaves them very insecure,because of the very big differences between the cultures! All those people have got 2 passports (??) and 2 residences (living-places)...that's sooo weird! Just like they're all schizophrenic I hope for sure that time will heal this but I'm affraid it will get worse and worse!

Thnx for giving your vision on all of this whitebird!
This is a great thread!!!

Souls...
they float like the memories I've opened,
Go...
and kiss all the butterflies I've broken,
Sow...
their wings to the coat of my misfortune,
Grow...
to reach the plains only I have spoken...

The Path ~by~ ManMade God