View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
no_fixd_address
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Evolution Arguments Do Not Disprove The Existence Of God

Quote: I commend you on a well researched well thought out post No fixed address
But I will have to say
"First Way: The Argument From Motion"
The Big Bang

Thank you. I have no problem with the Big Bang Theory. But it is just that, a theory. Even the most advanced astro-physicists in the world say its a theory. I think it takes a great deal more faith to believe the Big Bang started spontaneously all on its own. That defies reason. The Big Bang cannot be a first cause, but the theory itself is reasonable.

Quote: "Second Way: Causation Of Existence"
Ummm The Big Bang

Ummm, The Big Bang Theory affirms that no object can create itself, it does not dismiss Causation of Existence. Please provide the name of any reputable astro-physicist that claims matter came from itself.

Quote: "Third Way: Contingent and Necessary Objects"
Proteins and amino acids formed the first life and it evolved from there.

So what. Protiens and amino acids are not contingent beings. You didn’t get it. Humans probably did evolve, but the first human souls were created. Now you have to shift your argument that you are nothing more than a collection of cells. Go ahead. Obviously, you are too young to have children. ( one or more collections of cells)

Quote: "Fourth Way: The Argument From Degrees And Perfection”
perfection?? No I am not even gonna bother with this one it’s too easy.

Too bad. It's my favorite one too. It's easy to explain, easy to understand, but not so easy to refute. If you have absolutely no beauty in your life, or cannot appreciate anything, not even music, or have no hobbies, or don't think a glorious sunset is anything worth looking at, I don't understand why you haven't blown your brains out by now.

Quote: "Fifth Way: The Argument From Intelligent Design"
If there was intelligent design then it must not have been very intelligent because everything was kind thrown together in a haphazard manner.

This is not a reply, but an unintelligent cop-out. On one hand you argue from the standpoint of supposed science, and on the other you deny science completely. The Laws of Physics pre-existed and were explained, not invented, and all laws require a Law-Maker. You want a lawless world-view so you don't have to be responsible for your behavior. I bet you've heard that before.

Basically, I think you are trying to dismiss me using evolutionary arguments. Sorry, but I believe that faith and science is compatible. Your argument is with literalists who think they are creationists, not with me.

http://www.catholic.com/library/faith_science.asp >click on “Adam, Eve, and Evolution”. Copy and paste into the board the parts that you object to, and we can discuss it.

Science can purify religion from error and superstition. Religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.” Pope John Paul II
“There are not over a hundred people in the United States who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions, however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church, which is, of course, quite a different thing.”

Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Last edited by no_fixd_address : 06-04-2005 at 09:51 PM.