View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 AM   #9
Sincirr
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via ICQ to Sincirr Send a message via MSN to Sincirr Send a message via Skype to Sincirr
Quote: (Originally Posted by goddess_bb) ...I have never understood the stance that music that isn't religious in nature is bad..would someone please explain this to me. I am very sincere and not making fun here...

Sincere...did somebody call my name? hehehehehe!!!

This is a huge subject but a damn good question and I will try to help. If U want any more, feel free to ask or pm me. My post is long but it took me a while so please try to be patient lol

OK here are some opinions. Just understand that I dont share these but as a believer, I understand where they are coming from.

Christians are a little different where music and lyrics are concerned. The lyrics to some bands, take Korn for instance, can be extremely negative, and though I think Korn's lyrics are full of honest truth, and sometimes fairly theraputic, Christians do have a hard time appreciating and absorbing them.

They see words as having strong power so they try to stay away from stuff that will feed their minds and hearts with negativity, violence, (what is seen as) sexual immorality etc. Some say its the swearing but we arent just talking swearing, though its biblical that Christians arent sposed to use foul language.

I hope that helps a bit.

What sorta drives me nuts is the ignorance that is in alot of churches concerning music these days. I think music is so important and gives us a window into a world that we havent experienced, so we can see where people are coming from.

Art is sacred, and churches shouldnt be scared of it. But some christians feel that most music is part of the advancing of satans kingdom on earth so they rally against it. Take Phil from Pantera. I saw the video where those christians were in his face and stuff and I got so mad! Cos I have a heart for the guy and I sorta know where the anger with God is coming from and I would rather help him to get healing than tell him he is going to hell or something. So dumb! What they did was just making the situation worse.

Also there is another opinion that any instruments that arent in the bible are of the devil, but oh man I aint even gonna go there!!!! grrrr!

Quote: (Originally Posted by goddess_bb) Personally I am shocked, I am a huge Korn fan and what is it exactly that you feel makes Korn unchristian or so bad one of it's members had to leave??
Well I dunno what went on with Korn, cos I dont go on the road with them and stuff, but when U r trying to get right with God, its hard in an atmosphere where there is stuff that relates to your past. sometimes U just have to get outta there for a while. Like someone getting off heroin. Hanging out with a crowd that does the stuff while U r trying to get right may cause U 2 backslide or something.

When someone comes to know Jesus as their Lord and Saviour, He is then not just some God in Heaven; He is their best friend, and they take him everywhere. Understandably, perhaps Brian didnt want to have Jesus come onstage with him while his band were going through K@#%! or a song like that. Listening to it is a different thing. When U r representing the music of your band, its heaps harder to go there.

Look at these Korn lyrics:

Is there ever any wonder
Why we look to the sky
Search space
Asking why?
All alone
Where is God?
Looking down
We don't know

Some Christians would look at this and say, how dare they attack God like that! Others like myself, see it as searching. But I know one thing: Me thinks that the question was answered for Brian. Yay.

ROCK HARD!!!