View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
something tells me that this "ex-christian" doesn't know what God would do
i do, however, find it interesting that the basis for the answers provided are all from the Old Testament. it seems obvious to me that this "ex-christian" doesn't really understand christianity. the old testament is full of God's law and his direct dealings with his chosen people, the Israelites. as His law was the basis of their social structure, he needed to act to punish so as to make an example for others not to engage in the punished behavior (this is a fairly basic principle of criminal law, not just God's law). so this "ex-christian" is absolutely brilliantly observant in highlighting God's 'sentences' for ill behavior. however, this former believer fails to grasp the general theme of the New Testament and its significance to Christians. for one, God the Father plays a far lesser role in the day to day affairs of believers. you simply don't see him coming down and smiting those opposed to Him or His Son. Likewise, Jesus Christ, His Only Son, offered that loving thy neighbor is the most important commandment. Jesus smites no one; the closest he comes to so doing is breaking up the selling that had begun to occur in the temple. "ex-christian" also forgets that Jesus kinda died for our sins and kinda rose again, so that we believers wouldn't have to die painful deaths and be judged guilty in front of God. Jesus became guilty for us so that God, who admits He is vengeful, would not wipe us out together.

Last edited by RMadd : 08-30-2005 at 04:41 PM.