View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Some Creed Legacy Questions...

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed Tribute) 1. Why do so many people have a hard time admitting they like Creed's music?

I think most people view Creed as non-descript, one of a ton of bands in a genre that wasn't very excessive, or loud, or very anything. It was grunge without the depressing lyrics. People like '80s hair metal b/c it was so over-the-top, prog-rock b/c it's so intricate, classic rock b/c it was original at the time. Post-grunge was pretty much a fad for 3 or 4 years.

It also seems that the disdain stems from the perception of Scott Stapp. Most comments I've heard and/or read that diss Creed take aim at Stappy's poses, the *alleged* drug use, the "holier-than-thou" lyrics in some instances. And when you mix all that together, it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Creed Tribute) 2. To this day, I've never heard any member of Creed say they were a Christian band. Why do some people insist that they are? And the further question is...even if some people insist that Creed was a Christian band, why do those people have to hate Creeds music. I mean if it rocks...it rocks right? Plus if they were a Christian band...would Creed's music ever have been played on Rock radio stations???

People insist they are b/c of the lyrical content of many songs, especially from Human Clay. Higher, WAWO, WTLF, ITTE, Faceless Man, One, and so many more have some spiritual imagery on some level.

I'm not sure people hated them because they were allegedly Christian. I've got some non-Christian friends who have admitted to me that there's some pretty good Christian bands out there. And Switchfoot, P.O.D., blindside, Anberlin, Underĝath, and so many others seem to have been well-received by the secular music community. And even several of these bands go so far as to say that they're not Christian bands, insofar as that they don't sing songs about Jesus 100% of the time with the express purpose of converting people. For these artists, oftentimes it's about allowing their faith to show through their music, and if people find God in it, super-duper.