View Single Post
Old 05-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
“Rollin’ and Tumblin’” was a nice blues rave-up with Jack on harmonica and no bass. The song was really movin’ at a nice pace, Jack was performing greatly with his voice and the harmonica, and Ginger kept it all together. I love the slide guitar work!

“Stormy Monday Blues” was a surprise when I read about it being on the setlist the first night. At first I was a little upset to see it, but after hearing it I couldn’t be upset about that at all. Well, that is unless it took “Tales of Brave Ulysses” place. If that’s the case I shall stay in the dark and not find that bit of information out. ;-) I still can’t understand why Eric thinks he is only an average singer at best. I prefer the singing on “Outside Woman Blues” more, obviously, but this song is another showcase of his strong, passionate singing. And the strongest part of this song is the guitar playing. Eric shows that he knows how to take that single bent note and just make the crowd crazy.

“Deserted Cities of the Heart” was sounding great, and “Born Under a Bad Sign” was excellent! This was another song that really highlighted Jack’s singing. He was just pounding the bass, growling the lyrics, and the guys were just really tearing this song up. . Best of all is when Jack sang, “big bad woman’s going carry me to my grave,” he said that he certainly hoped so. That was just a great moment that showcased how comfortable they were performing together for us. Plus, it was funny as hell. LOL

I started really enjoying “We’re Going Wrong” a few months before the reunion. That night the song had a really ominous presence and the tension that the band builds up throughout is phenomenal.

“Crossroads” was faster than we have been hearing from Eric for the many years he has been performing it since Cream. It still wasn’t like that one we all know and love, but the slow gait was gone with something really reminiscent of what I wanted to hear. It’s almost like “Crossroads” of 1968 and 1993’s HOF performance got together and had a baby -- that gives us “Crossroads” of 2005.

“Sitting On Top of the World” really has Jack and Ginger challenging Eric and they are really forceful and pull out another great performance. This goes into “White Room” which I wasn’t even sure I would ever hear live whether Eric or Cream to be honest. It was great to hear Eric singing the higher parts and also having him and Jack switch who sings the verses halfway through. It was very effective. The band was sounding just like the days of old. Eric had a great solo, a great groove from the band, and some awesome rhythm being laid down. The only thing I missed is the way Eric starts his solo since about 1990. He does that one long extended note that just kills me. I mean it’s one that makes the show worth all of the money and usually makes me cry from happiness like a big baby. But regardless the solo was still sweet.

I can’t believe Ginger will be 66 years old later this year and has arthritis! How in the world is this possible? He is the greatest drummer I’ve ever seen live. The groove, the swing, and the otherworldly beats -- they are all brought by Ginger like he could do this in his sleep. I mean first we have Jack and Eric playing along with Ginger on this really high-spirited intro with some great feedback from Eric, and then as they leave the stage Ginger just lights it up. The drum solo lasts near 7 minutes, maybe a minute shorter or a minute longer, and about halfway through it just gets really dirty and funkier. And those African beats! Aah, I’ve never enjoyed a drum solo so much in my life. It’s a shame Ginger is so underrated. Maybe it wouldn’t be the case so much if we just consider Cream, but his whole career after Cream is overlooked. He’s way too good to not be mentioned every time someone mentions John Bonham, Neil Peart, or whoever else. I’ll take Ginger any day. As a matter of fact from now on when people ask me who my fantasy band is instead of mixing all of my favorites together from other bands I think I’ll just be proud and true and say Cream.

So Jack and Eric return to the stage and the band takes their bow together to a standing ovation. After cheering while they are gone it is time to rush toward the stage! I could have been against the stage if I didn’t almost forget my purse and my friend’s jacket (which I was strictly told not to lose). What can you expect? I’m on a high from the concert. Jacket, all my money, my I.D. -- who cares! I end up being the third row standing in front of the stage on Eric’s side. If this geek in front of me doing the cheesiest air guitar and head-banging would have just moved over I could have been two steps closer. Ahem, if you are on this board I was joking. You play fantastic air guitar. It was amazing to be so extremely close. Granted, I did watch Eric most of the time. Surprise. Just to see the reactions on their faces while being so into the playing and being so cohesive. It was impressive. Eric’s solo was longer than it has been with his band, and it was excellent. It was just stretched out and amazing. Ginger was providing those African beats/groove that I love. Jack was laying down the bass to accentuate the groove of Ginger and the humbling guitar work provided by Eric. And I love when Eric faces the amp and lets the guitar feedback. The band just jams going along at a higher speed and lost within the music. I mean I was actually watching Cream onstage, jamming to Sunshine, while we (the audience) sang along on the chorus!!! Then before I knew it the concert had gone on for just a little over two hours. The band waved goodbye, and I had just witnessed quite possibly the best concert yet. It was simply amazing.

I may have some minor complaints about the show, but they are just that -- minor. My biggest complaint is that the audience on the floor doesn’t just get up most of the concert. I mean seeing Cream -- a legendary rock band -- makes me want to get up and move and watch and soak in every moment. I thought sitting down the majority of the concert was just a little non-invigorating. But I didn’t let it take from my great time. Cream was too good for that. This was definitely a night I could never forget. People can say whatever they want about Cream, but the band was tight. They were playing some of the best music that has ever been made, and they were playing it just as well and sometimes better than they did 37 years ago. For this 21 year old it was a dream come true.
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/