View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #26
Julbright
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Aimee) Yes, Joy thank you for sharing! PTSD is a real problem for anyone who has gone through any kind of trauma. Thanks also to Julbright for your educated input. It's not always a mental illness that makes people go through these things. Very seemingly "normal" people who have been traumatised can also have these feelings of worthlessness.

Thank you for pointing this out - let me rephrase somethings - I was referring to all these syndromes as mental illness when really the origins of things can be quite varying. I still think that mentally ill people are "normal" and can live very normal lives with the right treatment - of course there are varying degrees of everything and there will always be people bedridden for medical illnesses and likewise people impaired by mental illness. I do see what you were saying too though that people who experience trauma may develop a psycholocial response like PTSD and such and those people tecnically weren't mentally ill (biologically speaking) - the environment imposed trauma on them. I think that is what you mean.

The common denominator though is that it isn't something to be judged. Just as some people can be around 15 kids with a cold and never get it but I could look across the room at a kid with a drippy nose and come down with a full blown 2 week long cold - or the person who smokes for 50 years with no diseases caused from it and the person who gets lung cancer after smoking for a small number of years - people's bodies respond differently to things and it is just the way it is.

I am glad to see the outpouring of support for these folks who are talking here!
I laid beside you I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need's a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man to relearn love
RELEARN LOVE _ SCOTT STAPP

When shadows paint the scenes where spotlights used to fall...I will be there for you Scottie