View Single Post
Old 01-08-2004, 09:01 AM   #22
Julbright
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
I just want to clarify for you all to make sure you have correct information. I am a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor. Self abusing is a symptom - it can occur within a variety of diagnoses which can be severe like schizophrenia or not - intelligence certainly has nothing to do with it - and the people who engage in this behavior are suffering pain and this is a maladaptive coping skill - they don't need to be judged. Mental illness occurs just as any other illness does - people do not ask to be mentally ill nor do they cause it - and they need treatment just as someone with diabetes or heart disease does. I know it doesn't make rational sense how something like that would be helpful to a person but many people engage in senseless behaviors everyday. We need to support not understand.

JOY my friend that was very brave of you to go public with your story but to me that just shows that you have dealt with it appropriately and have integrated it into your history. I am proud of you and happy that you have dealt with it so well. Love ya!
I laid beside you I'm not worthy
This jaded man's not who I am
I touched the flame and I've been burned
All I need's a second chance
Give me eyes of a child
And teach this man to relearn love
RELEARN LOVE _ SCOTT STAPP

When shadows paint the scenes where spotlights used to fall...I will be there for you Scottie