Thread: Jeremiah
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #44
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Jeremiah

We come now, after a long break, to the 13th chapter of Jeremiah. This is an interesting chapter and maybe a bit funny for some because God basically is going to tell Jeremiah to get a linen girdle and stick it in the Euphrates River. Now naturally there's a reason for this, and it's symbolism. He's going to use that linen girdle and some wine bottles to symbolize the people of Judah. Those are His people, but when God's people go astray from Him, well they're not going to come out of it unmarred. That was true then, it's true today. But remember, all of this is here to teach us today, and there is always repentance and forgiveness at this time. So, let's go on to verse 1.

Jeremiah 13:1 "Thus saith the Lord unto me, "Go and get thee a linen girdle, and put it upon thy loins, and put it not in water."

The linen girdles were generally worn by the upper class but it basically would be like a belt. God is saying, "Don't get it wet" because He wants it to remain in good condition so that it becomes obvious what causes the damage.

Jeremiah 13:2 "So I got a girdle according to the word of the Lord, and put it on my loins."

So, here Jeremiah goes out and buys the girdle and puts it on, following God's instructions.

Jeremiah 13:3 "And the word of the Lord came unto me the second time, saying,"

Jeremiah 13:4 "Take the girdle that thou hast got, which is upon thy loins, and arise, go to Euphrates, and hide it there in a hole of the rock."

Now, there are some scholars who wonder if Jeremiah actually went to the Euphrates River or if this is allegorical. The Euphrates was a long trip for Jeremiah, but I believe that in as much as it's written, that's where he went. It's interesting to note too that the Euphrates was the border between Israel and Babylon. A lot of people look at Babylon as a past kingdom, and it was. But it's coming again... HOWEVER it's not so much the location as it is the spiritual and mental state of confusion that's going to be the hallmark of it. But here we have God telling Jeremiah, take this linen girdle you've been wearing, and keep in mind Jeremiah has not washed it. It's dirty because God instructed him not to put it in water. But at the same time it is intact. He's going to take that girdle, which we will discover is symbolic of the people of Judah, and take it right to that area where confusion and false religion is rampant. But the point is going to be not that the people of Babylon are going to be marred, but that the people of Judah are marred with false religion... false tradition... man's tradition.
Jeremiah 13:5 "So I went, and hid it by Euphrates, as the Lord commanded me."

Jeremiah 13:6 "And it came to pass after many days, that the Lord said unto me, "Arise, go to Euphrates, and take the girdle from thence, which I commanded thee to hide there."

What do you think is going to be the result of this little illustration and experiment that God instructed Jeremiah to carry out?

Jeremiah 13:7 "Then I went to Euphrates, and digged, and took the girdle from the place where I had hid it: and, behold, the girdle was marred, it proifitable for nothing."

It was completely ruined. Friend, that's what tradition and false religion will do even to your very soul. I say that not to scare you or come down so much on other religions. But there is only one God, He is our Father, He does love us, and His Word and His truth is precious. When you follow that, it will be profitable for you. It, as again is mentioned in the 7th chapter and 23rd verse of this great book, it will be well for you. But there's a condition with all of God's promises, and if you don't follow His Word and obey His voice, and if you listen to man or something else, then you're pretty much useless to God. Again, one can always repent. But until that happens, then you're pretty marred.

Jason