View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Chris98GT
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: *The Official "Full Circle" Reviews Thread*

The Good:
  • Overcome
    - A solid hard rock tune. Great opening track.
  • Bread of Shame
    - The guitars are tuned way too low, but the chunky grooves make up for it. Definitely one of the strangest Creed songs, almost like a guilty pleasure.
  • A Thousand Faces
    - Classic Creed. Nothing more to say. Tremonti's backing vocals are a highlight here.
  • Suddenly
    - It was funny. As I first listened to it, I thought, "Well it suddenly goes from awesome to average, then suddenly back to awesome. Whatever. Overall it's pretty good.
  • Fear
    - Nice, heavy riffage here. Some cool vocals too. LET GO! LET GO!
  • The Song You Sing
    - More of that classic Creed sound. Cool little solo towards the end. Also, some nice, old-school vocal melodies from Scott. This album would be better with more of them.

The Mediocre:
  • Full Circle
    - A groovy yet muddled mess. Kinda feels like a work in progress. In the end though, a good back beat makes this one listenable.
  • Time
    - Some elegant guitar work and some cool lyrics, you'd think it's a sure thing. Not quite. Something about it just doesn't reach out and grab me. Parts of it feel somewhat sterile. It's not bad though, just average.
  • Good Fight
    - A plodding and boring chorus drags this song down. A song about fighting the good fight should inspire me, not make me want to skip to an earlier track. The vocals at the end of the song made me laugh. Stop trying so hard Scott.

The Bad:
  • Rain
  • Away In Silence
  • On My Sleeve
    - "Don't give up on us." Sorry Scott, I'm definitely giving up on these songs. Poppy filler with cheesy, cliché-laden lyrics.

Final Verdict:

Good, but not great. It's a little better than I expected, which was nice. Scott's aggressive new vocal style works on the heavier songs but not so much on the lighter stuff.

Occasionally, there is a glimpse of those old vocal melodies that defined Creed's early sound. Those, combined with Tremonti's masterful guitar work, gave Creed a full, robust sound that is lacking on this record. Thankfully, Tremonti continues to explore and experiment with his craft; it pays off and gives us some sounds that we have never heard out of Creed.

By no means is this a retread of their past work. If anything, some of their past work would have helped to embolden this record.

3 out of 5 stars.