View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #81
Justify
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Atheism growing in America

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) By what you have spouted off about evolution it is clear that you do not understand evolution let alone the meaning of the word theory....
Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) now when you say it takes faith to buy in to what I see as correct really depends on your reference point. I approach things as "nothing is so until proven so" I.E. god, creation, or what have you.

I approach with the scientific method and when it comes down to it the scientific method is the "most correct" method we have at our disposal

I think it is you and not I who does not understand the meaning of the word theory. A theory is not a fact. A theory is an idea or a group of ideas that try to explain or interpret a fact. Evolution has never been proven. To prove it the scientific method would have to be applied. But the scientific method cannot be applied can it. Was anyone there to witness the birth or mankind, the earth and the universe? No. Can evolution be reproduced? No. So where does that leave you? You must have FAITH in evolution. But let’s just say for the point of argument that Evolution is the way we came about. Couldn’t God have created the process of Evolution? The fact that you think matter always was doesn’t disprove God either. There is no difference in you believing that matter has always been and me believing that God has always been. It seems you atheists like to always say “the burden of proof is on those who believe in God”. It sounds like a backdoor answer to me.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) Now to answer your question of "what makes Christianity so poisonous" it is simple I already gave an example but if you would like more ok

in most sects education is discouraged
it slpits apart families
it is judgemental (when you are commanded not to be)
just to name a few

you seem to always ask Christians to “prove” things
-I say to you prove where Christianity / The Bible teaches us to discourage education. You cannot because The Bible does not discourage it. Certainly there are individuals of all faiths, including atheism, that discourage it but you cannot take the views of one and say they are the views of the many.

-Prove how it slpits apart families.
Human beings may split apart families with their sin and wrong doing but in what way does Christianity have an affect on this? 1 Peter 3:7 says “Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect” Exodus 20:12 teaches children to honor their father and mother. Many verses tell us not to lust and not to commit adultery. How do these teachings harm a marriage?

-Prove Christianity it is judgmental
Some Christians may be judgmental but that does not mean Christianity teaches us to be judgmental. I can hate what you do or believe but that doesn’t mean I hate you. What did Jesus say about this? “Let those without sin cast the first stone.” “love our neighbor as ourself”. Also in Romans 12:17 it says “Do not repay anyone evil for evil.” You’re right I’m starting to see the big picture now. Those are terrible teachings to abide by. What must I have been thinking? [sarcasm]

You have quoted the wrongs of the individual not the wrongs of Christianity. God gave us all free will. We all sin and sin has consequences i.e. Failed marriages or split families, being judgmental toward one another… etc. Let me throw out a word to you that you seem to like to use. Illogical…. As in you are being illogical by pointing out wrong doings of man to explain the wrongs of Christianity.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) I am not using hate speech I am calling it like I see it based on experiance. You say that Christianity "teaches a good way to live." yeah uhhuh sure

Killing a child who disobeys
saying it is ok to sell your daughter in to slavery
advocating genocide
glorifiing murder
advocating murder for breaking "the sabbath"
Jesus curses [the inhabitants of] three cities who were not sufficiently impressed with his great works.
"They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."
just to name a few

yeah sign me up there that is a real good way to live

I don’t pretend to have all the answers to the bible. You have chosen to cherry pick topics from the bible that you think fits your argument eventhough you don't have a grasp of the actual meaning of those topics. I don’t claim to know it all but I’ll address what you listed above.

-When you speak about killing a child who disobeys I assume you are referring to this verse:
Exodus 21:15
And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.

This verse is taken from the same chapter as this Ex 21:12 which states “He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.”

I don’t think this reads as if it is a child. This reads as if it is an adult. And “smiteth” when translated means to strike. They are talking about an adult who physically abuses his parents. Not a child who “disobeys” their parents.

-advocating murder for breaking "the sabbath"
You seem to be doing a lot of misquoting which says to me you haven’t actually studied the bible. I believe you are probably referring to:
Ex 31:14 “'Observe the Sabbath, because it is holy to you. Anyone who desecrates it must be put to death; whoever does any work on that day must be cut off from his people.”

It doesn’t actually say if you “break” the Sabbath you will be put to death. It says if you desecrate the Sabbath. It also makes a point to say anyone who does work on that day will be cut of from his people. I believe this point was made to show the difference between working (and other not so serious offenses against the Sabbath) and actually desecrating the Sabbath. This was God’s law for his people at that time. Jesus was ask about the Sabbath by the Pharisees. He told them in Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath." Which I take to mean that the Sabbath was not a duty to God but a gift from God as a day of rest.

-Jesus curses [the inhabitants of] three cities who were not sufficiently impressed with his great works.

Matthew 11:21
Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
Matthew 11:23
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

I don’t know what your problem is with this. Jesus, in these three cities, performed miracles that proved that without a doubt he is the Son of God. Yet they were such fools to ignore it even when done right before them. If Jesus stood before you today and performed unbelievable miracles would you be like these people or would you be forced to believe that there is a God and that Jesus is the Son of God? Jesus cursed these people because if these miracles couldn’t convince them then nothing would. It seems these people would have been destined to hell even without him cursing them.

-Hosea 13:16
Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Sometimes things we may view as evil must happen for the greater good. Many innocent people were killed during World War II but it was for the greater good of taking an evil man from power. In this case, I think, God allowed this to happen so Israel would see their error and come back to Him.

And as for:
advocating genocide
glorifiing murder

Please explain this? I see this nowhere in the Bible. I’m not going to allow you to get away with stating things without giving a reference.

I would be a fool to say I understand everything God does. But you seem to have all the answers don’t you…. from that (oh so enlightening) year you spent studying the answers to how the universe and humanity all began.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) there was nothing logical about the argument you first posed and judging by the current post I would say that you don't have a good grasp of logic.

I wouldn't have to explain what a fallacy is if you had a grasp of logic. but thats ok you can keep telling yourself that.

I believe you like to throw the word illogical around because you think it makes you sound superior. A child thinks his parents are illogical too… until he becomes an adult and understands things from their point of view. Just because you believe what I say is illogical does not make it so. It only means you haven’t the capability of understanding it.

Also you throw out a lot of Atheist talking points in this post. Things you stated can be found all over web on web sites that list arguments for atheist to use against Christians. You should try thinking for yourself sometime.
Matthew 11:30
His yoke is easy and his burden is light

Last edited by Justify : 04-13-2006 at 04:45 PM.