View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:50 PM   #18
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
hmmm... interesting... i think 16 year olds should be allowed to vote here. i remember being in high school and at 16, interested in or aware enough of what was going on politically that I felt I, and a fair number of my peers, could make educated decisions. granted, most people look on high schoolers in general as morons, but when you take a closer look, and don't use the crappy shows on mtv & vh1 as an example, i don't think it would hurt.
as far as changing the driving age, missouri (and a fair number of other states as well) instituted a graduated license program (i got mine just days before it took effect, thank God) about 5 years ago, in which, you can get your license at 16, but there are a significant number of restrictions on it: you can only be on the streets after 1 am if it's school- or work-related; you can have no more than 1 passenger who doesn't have the full unrestricted license (who also isn't a sibling or parent) in your car while your driving; and there's a handful of other nuances, but they aim at trying to reduce the number of accidents involving teens. granted, when you turn 18, you don't have to take another test to get your full unrestricted license. they also now issue permits at 15, and i think you have to have it for a full year before you can get your restricted license. not sure if it's working or not, tho.