View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 08:58 PM   #1
Creedfan199
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Creed and the Greek Mythos

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've been wondering for a while about Creed's connection to the ancient Greek mythologies, and whether or not their Christian public image is really just a pose (like mine) to hide a deeper belief in the ancient gods of the Aegian penninsula.

It may sound crazy at first, but the more I listen to songs like "Higher" (which to me symbolizes a desire to reach toward the hights of Mount Olympus) and "Arms Wide Open" (about Prometheus stealing the fire of the gods) the more I feel like they share my belief in a more rooted civilization than the Christian monotheological perspective.

Consider the song "One Last Breath" which really goes into depth about the life of Hercules. The lyrics "I yelled back when I heard thunder" show Hercules' first cry as an infant to his father, Zeus. The "six feet from the edge" analogy is a moment of self-doubt for the mighty half-Olympian, as he calls into doubt his ability to complete the seven tasks to which he has been assigned. Sure, he's completed one, but he's "six feet" or "six tasks" away from the goal. Thinking then than "six feet ain't so far down" shows how he overcomes this doubt, by realizing that maybe these tasks aren't so big at all.

Also, the title of the Creed album "Human Clay" to me seems to be a reference to the ancient Greek belief of Humans as intricate pieces of pottery, molded and sculpted into human form by the Potter god, Hermione, then having life breathed into them by Zeus himself.

Am I the only one that's spotted this? I've written the band about this issue many times, and I haven't gotten an answer from them, but I really think I'm on to something. It's refreshing to hear a band that's truly in touch with the legacy of our ancient greek forefathers, as the religious beliefs of the Greek at that time are so often dismissed as mythology today.