View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #9
Read JDM
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Incubus and MB20. Interesting that you ask about them together, because they're not all that similar. But I've got plenty opinions on both!

About MB20, I just about despise their music. There's one song, however, Bent, which I think is just an awesome song. I could kinda do without the chorus (or the lyrics to it, anyway), but I must admit I like that song a lot overall. Other than that, though, I really just don't like them. See, prior to Creed, my favorite band was Third Eye Blind, and 3EB and MB20 came on the scene pretty much at the same time and were grouped together for some reason. Lots of people even thought they were the same band, which just totally confounds me. I don't think they sound alike at all. I mean, I can see where people who listen to one might listen to the other, but I definitely don't think that they sound the same. Anyway, though, their singer, Rob Thomas, just always seem like an a-hole to me on account of things he would do, like trying desperately and pathetically to create a rivalry between the two bands in the press.

As for Incubus, if you're not into them, and if you're not sure you're willing to shell out the money to find out if you can get into them or not, I'd say just fork over the $15 and take a chance on Morning View. It's a great CD, really it is. Make Yourself is also great, but anything off their albums before that may or may not suit your tastes. In fact, the earlier albums don't suit my tastes, overall, but Make Yourself and Morning View are albums of massive general appeal. Incubus is definitely focused on carving out their own niche in modern rock, and I really respect them for that. They're always doing their own thing, and, to me, that puts them in the tradition of classic rock. If you listen to Just a Phase (on Morning View), I think you'll agree they're capable of doing something very Pink Floydian, and that's starting a song 2-3 minutes after the song's started. Listen to it. You'll see what I mean.