View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #73
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Atheism growing in America

Quote: (Originally Posted by uncertaindrumer) Wow. So I say there is a natural moral law and you somehow think that *helps* your argument? Okay, here we go:

You have admitted there is a natural moral law. You can no longer be an atheist. Why? Because an atheist must preclude the existance of a natural type of ethical code since this type of natural law can only come from something higher than humanity. Ergo, you need a God. I have the answer to the question of why there is a moral law. You don't. If there is a moral law, Something created it.

You are basing your argument on a fallacious assumption..... Your assumption is that god exists and since god exists then moral law HAS to come from him.

by doing this you are making 2 huge mistakes in which you are drawing your erroneous conclusion from you have offered up no proof that

A: god exists (which I will concede is impossible to PROVE either that he does or does not exist)

And

B: If god DOES exist he has to be responsible for morality that has/will. Or will ever take place on earth.

those 2 assumptions are the 2 key errors that you have made in your argument and conclusion (fair enough I make the conclusion that there is no god) but if there were a god you can not automatically assume he had anything to do with morality.

I am an Atheist and there is a natural inherent moral or ethical code you have not show how if morality or ethics is inherent it had to come from a "higher being or power" you have failed to show anything to challenge that notion
Are you following me here? YOU DO however make an assumed conclusion and then proceed to say that I am not an Atheist and that I have no morality. Where do you get off say something like that?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The next portion is directed to Secret Weapon

You say that I was never a true Christian (r) because I am now an Atheist

by doing this you are committing the "No True Scotsmen Fallacy" (look it up) (I know you won't) you have not logical grounds to stand on in making this accusation... your book in which you are drawing your conclusion form states if one strays away then they were never a Christian to begin with say that because they want to scare people in to submission if they didn't thousands would actually listen and learn about logic, reason, truth, and science. Rather than hang on to dogma, superstition, and an ancient invisible sky daddy.