View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
RalphyS
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Militants Surround EU Offices in Gaza Over 'Offensive' Cartoons

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) So it's okay to attack a large (veeeeeery large) group's core beliefs if it's the means to making a broader statement? I understand what you're saying about the magazine trying to take a stand on free speech, but it seems senseless why they might choose perhaps the most volatile religion as the means to that end? I also suspect that the whole truth isn't being told. Why Islam, of all groups? Why not pick on American Christians? Sure we might get a little ticked off, but we'll just sort of shrug it off as "European secularism" and go about our merry way without burning books and effigies. Why not Gandhi eating a Big Mac (if, in fact, McDonalds does use real beef)? I strongly suspect that there's no small minority of Europeans who are mortified by the prospect of a growing Muslim population in the historically almost-all-white, all-Christian continent.

So you're comparing G-Dub to the founder of one of the great religions of this world, even if only in jest??? In my mind, there's a slight (and, by "slight," I mean "pretty extraordinary") difference between the two and their impacts on world religion.

It's funny: people say this alot, but then sort of ignore it when it comes down to the nitty gritty. What happens if people take that attitude dealing with Iraq? "Oh well, the U.S. wants to invade. No sense in us doing anything to try and stop them." "Well, golly, that white police officer just beat the tar out of me, a black man, with his nightstick for no reason whatsoever. Oh, heck, I won't press the issue, just move on, that's what I always say..."

Oh, the religion is volatile, and therefore we should just abide by their wishes, and try the utmost not to enrage anyone.

What did actually happen? Someone drew a character, the founder of an religion to some, no one special to others, and related in a funny matter some things that people tend to associate with that religion also in the picture? It's a drawing !!!! People want to kill people for drawing !!! I hear they are urging for Fatwa's against the cartoonists. This is exactly the thing why islam/mohammed was drawn as a terrorist, these people need to get a sense of humor. And if you don't like the paper, don't buy it.

Who is making the bad comparison's now. Comparing the fuzz over some cartoons, with invading a nation/starting a war.

I don't even care why these cartoons were published, except maybe if they were really intentionally being made to piss off people/muslims, but even than, in our western society we can make cartoons of Jesus, the basic character of the major religion of the west, therefore we can do the same to any religious character. Blasphemy is probably the most stupid law there is.

This is just Salman Rushdie all over again, muslims will just have to learn that not all people agree with their religion and criticism, sarcasm, irony on your religion of choice is something you will have to deal with, and if your religion is all that you think is is, it can stand some scrutiny.

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl