View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
RalphyS
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Militants Surround EU Offices in Gaza Over 'Offensive' Cartoons

Quote: (Originally Posted by RMadd) But, on a serious note, I almost couldn't believe this when I first heard about it a day or two ago. It's outrageous, and it seems like something that would almost certainly not be tolerated in most places in the U.S. We're a country built on religious freedom and, although there did exist a certain degree of anti-Arab and anti-Muslim sentiment immediately following 9/11, it seems that has largely subsided, and that most Americans would find this disgusting. Looks like we're not the only insensitive folk in the world, after all.

So what are you saying? The papers were wrong for publicizing the cartoons?
If that's it, I totally disagree. I support them for showing solidarity with the Danes. If there is one thing that is most common in our current Western values, it has to be the freedom of expression, which should include any freedom in outing opinion/ridicule over religions. Jesus, Buddha, Yahweh, Jehova, Zeus, Odin, Mohammed, they are no exceptions to the rule, just because some part of the world's population mey hold them in high esteem.
Especially in a case like this were insult was definitely not the target of the cartoonist.

The western world should not apologize for someone executing one of their most prized possesions, the freedom of speech and expression.

Ralphy's Cool Music Site www.aowekino.nl