View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 10:05 PM   #27
myownprison382
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by mel!ssa
<b>Well the official status of evolution is it's a theory. &nbsp;Scientists say it's a theory. &nbsp;It can never be proved, it can be supported but it will always be a theory. &nbsp;According to my wonderful little Biology class, nothing can ever be proved, if you write in your experiment "it proved that" you lose marks, it can only be "it supports the theory that" etc </b>

Yes, this is how science works. You don't claim to know all there is to know about the universe, you just figure out the best explanation possible, and if a better one comes along, you adopt that. Yes, evolution is a "theory". So is Einstein's Relativity, and so was Newton's Gravitation before that. If you are using "theory" as if it's some sort of insult then I don't think you are fully understanding the idea.

Anyway, enough off-topic there, I didn't want to derail, but I can't stand that.

bgivens33 has said everything that needs to be said here. I don't buy that people would be fine with judges and government officials cluttering up offices, schools, and courts with quotes from the Qu'ran, Tao te Jing, or Wiccan whatever, if Christianity didn't get the same sort of representation. But the problem is where do you draw the line? When the religion that wants representation in government is a "cult"? Who determines that? I'm sure there are people who think Roman Catholicism is a cult.