View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 09:56 PM   #15
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Steve, I read that link and it seems a bit contradictory. In one breath he says respect the traditions of the super-majority and in another he says protect the rights of the minority. So, does that mean the traditions of the super-majority (slavery comes to mind) should be respected when they are out and out wrong? I don't buy that guy's arguments at all. That would leave the super-majority to determine the rights of the minority without regard to what the minority wants. Sounds like oppression to me.

In the link, I was referring more to the point that marriage is a tradition that surpases religion and that it should be respected as such.

Quote: (Originally Posted by from the link) Marriage is a cultural phenomenon, not a religious one. And as long as the majority of Americans practicing it believe it should be between a man and a women exclusively that is what it should be. It's their tradition. Contrary to what some may believe, majorities have rights too.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"