Thread: Sd#219
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
theironhorse
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Sd#219

Sunday Dispatch #219

I believe that the soul is the deepest part of us. I believe it is the part that God wants us to be. I believe that our souls are not born fully developed and that this world, as Keats put it, is "the vale of soul-making." I think that this is largely a cognitive process, that the ego can try to cognate in harmony with the soul and with what William James called "the unseen order of things." Or it could just ignore it, which is probably what most people do.

Reminds me of a quote of Elton Trueblood’s, a famous Quaker, who said that "You can accept Jesus, you can reject Jesus, but you cannot reasonably ignore him." And I think that is what most people do, is to unreasonably ignore him, and God. And then, the ego can be in active battle with God and running away from God. I think that God has a relationship with all of us, in the sense we’re all in relationship with God, but for many people that relationship is one of indifference or it's a running away from relationship. A lot of people run scared. For good reason, as St. Paul said, "It is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God."

~M.Scott Peck