View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 05:28 AM   #1
tremontirocks!
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
The Road Not Taken

I lay in the darkness, in my nice warm bed. It’s so peaceful and quiet, as I rest in the stillness. But I feel so alone, all I can hear now is the wind whistle against my window as it worries and probes at the chips and cracks caused by some long forgotten mishap. Maybe the wind is a sign from heaven, telling me that she is still out there in a spiritual level.

Laying, resting, thinking…of how many choices I’ve made in my life, of how many roads I’ve traveled. I’m thinking of how many people have hurt me along those roads. Tears flow out of my eyes, like raindrops falling in to a dark black river…making me feel unwanted, empty, forgotten because of all the missed turns to happiness. My heart begins to cry, making me feel like an exhausted warrior fighting the desperate battles to find my inner peace…the light. I feel like I’ve been used, wasted and discarded, a weathered and rusting hulk, crumbling slowly into fragments to be claimed by the earth and vegetation that surrounds me. I took the wrong road…

As I drift into a fevered slumber, the dream comes again. I hear and feel my ragged breath tearing from my chest in time with the slap of my heavy boots against the frozen earth. The bullets begin to fire, thunderous reports like cannons thumping in my worn out heart…I’ve had enough. When will the golden bullet finish me off? I’m hit, I begin to bleed. I’m falling behind, out of breath, out of ammunition, beaten, nearly dead…How am I supposed to fight? Blood leaks out of my body, red rivulets flowing across the unforgiving ground. Will my life feed the hunger of the enemy? Will they leave me to die in peace? Will they leave me to live in peace?…I took the wrong road…

The sun now rises with another day. The light streaming through the window shining so bright releases me from the fear and dread of my dream, to the despair and heartache of my reality. My inner eye can see the road again, stark and golden in the frozen moonlight, the opportunity I had. I could have saved you! I would have taken it, but I was out of ammunition, nearly dead…I couldn’t fight. I spread my hand across my eyes to block the dazzling light and allow myself to refocus on reality. I lift up my head, dragging myself out of bed. I feel sick, dizzy. I’m still caught somewhere between the dream fantasy and the misery of consciousness. The illusion of you goes away…it’s a still photo day… I took the wrong road…

I find myself now limping, bleeding, down that dark lost road of what is left of my life. I’m beaten, and I wish you were here with me now…to lessen the pain. I feel so lonely, now that you’re gone…If I took the other road, you may still be here…But I didn’t…I took the wrong road…the wrong way…the road that wasn’t taken was the road to my fulfillment.

This is a story I wrote for the subject English for school this year...Its based on a true story that I went through... I hope you all liked it...
By W.D.