View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 03:30 PM   #22
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) this is not the faith and religion section but i'm happy to have a friendly debate on the subject. joseph smith had 40 wives whilst brigham young had 60 wives. so the founder and great prophet of this religion had between them 100 wives!

What's your point?
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) no where in the scriptures does it state or even hint that jesus and satan were somehow biologically linked or via some quasi-spirtual state. it saids that satan or lucifer was the highest of the archangels and he led a rebellion and a third of the angels went with him
But if God is the father of all, and Satan was an archangel, he had to have been under God. There is no power equal to God's, so if we are all children of the same father, which are we the children of? God or Satan? One of them has to be more powerful, and we are therefore their children.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) no where is there a 3rd class and that third class become black people is downright racist. there is really no-one such as races according to biologists and many "black" people would be closer to genetically to me than my white "cousins". it simply doesn't stand up to the scientific evidence availiable to us in modern science.
I'm not being racist. I am not racist. There is evidence that supports this.
Quite a lot of Mayan art shows dark and light skinned peoples. The Bureau of American Ethnology calls this "wearing the skins of one's enemy," and dismisses it as as religious ceremony without explaining where the dark skins came from in the first place! On the north coast of Peru, from 400-1000 AD, a culture called the Moche or Mochica flourished. According to modern archeologists, the Moche painted thier bodies black before going into battle.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) yes its true that concubines were a common occurence particulary with men like solomon but it was never a commandment and in fact it goes directly against "one man and one woman" like you stated from adam and eve. this mormon theology then goes directly against scripture.
But, as I said, it was used for the building of the kingdom, and only for a short time. They did not permanently stay married to all of them. Yes, Joseph Smith did have near 40 wives, but that was only at one point. He didn't marry each one for, like, 50 years. In most cases, it was around 5 years. Plus, did he really have kids with all of them? As I also said before, it was only to those commanded by God. Not everyone did it. And it wasn't forever.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) talking about scripture mormonism i understand teaches that scriptures were lost and changed and joseph smith was to reverse this and teach truth. the only problem here is that we have new testament manuscripts from the 2nd century A.D and old testament writings from very early on and its clear that changes were not made, at least those affecting doctrine.
In a sence that's true, but not completly. It's not so much that they say it was translated wrong, so much as it is that they don't know what is exactly right. There is no exact way of knowing exactly what was written by ancient peoples becuase they didn't leave a translator into english. For many years, archeological remains were stored in secret places in museums and such, and no one knew what many of them said until the Rosetta stone was found, which helped translate. If you ever take an anthropology course in college (even an introductory one) they will tell you that the way archeologists decide what things say, they all come forward with a bunch of ideas, and then vote on which to say it is. At least that's what my professor told us. And she is not religious in any way.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) another problem i have with mormonism is that in the book of abraham joseph smith apparently interpreted some egyptian hierogryphics (sp) and stated it was to do with abraham. this was all well and good until modern archologists and anthropologists can state categorically that these describe embalming procedures and i believe joseph smith was a false prophet.
Refer to previous answer
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) we all have our beliefs and you're unlikely to change because of what i've stated here
Absolutely true. As we've ended in other threads before, we have to agree to disagree. In the end, God will judge all as he sees fit.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) but i believe christianity is the one true religion and fits the evidence best, whilst mormonism has big gaping holes in theology, science and the like.
Actually, Mormonism is a sect of Christianity. Just like Methodists, Presbiterians, Episcopalians, and many others. Mormons are Christians.
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) anyhow good talking to ya......
Yeah. Same here. I like it when people challenge my religion. So far, the answers I have found satisfy me. One of my personal opinions is that if a religion can withstand the tests, there must be truth there. In the end, who goes to Heaven is God's decision. Mormonism may not be perfect, but it works for me. (and a couple other people on the board)

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"