View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #38
Canuckfish
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: I found this interesting.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) 1. nope who is to say that matter wasn't ust always here (per the solid state universe theory

The impossibility of an actual infinite in time:
"Let's use an example of marbles". Imagine I had an infinite amount of marbles in my possession, and that I wanted to give you some. In fact, suppose I wanted to give you an infinite number of marbles. In that case I would have zero marbles left for myself. However, another way to do it would be to give you all the odd numbered marbles. Then I would still have an infinity left over for myself, and you would have an infinity too. You'd have just as many as I would - in fact, each of us would have just as many as I originally had before we divided into odd and even! Or another approach would be for me to give you all of the marbles numbered four and higher. That way, you would have an infinity of marbles, but I would have only three marbles left.
What these illustrations demonstrate is that the notion of an actual infinite number of things leads to contradictory results. In the first case in which I gave you all the marbles, infinity minus infinity is zero; in the second case in which I gave you all the odd numbered marbles, infinity minus infinity is infinity; and in the third case in which I gave you all the marbles numbered four and greater, infinity minus infinity is three. In each case, we have subtracted the identical number, but we have come up with non-identical results"
William Lane Craig, interviewed by Lee Strobel in The Case for a Creator, ch 5

Quote: (Originally Posted by Lunar Shadow) evolution is an obervable science so it is not an assumption

Actually it is a religion based on faith as NO ONE has observed evolution.

The rest you have not addressed, and I don’t have the time to explain them again.

Cheers