View Single Post
Old 03-25-2004, 02:07 PM   #19
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by shunammite) I never trust what an artist says about his stuff, I don't think they always understand it themselves, Hetfield said going back to his old stuff, now he sees stuff in it he didn't when he wrote it, the gut knows better than the head, or sooner...
Great observation, and so true. Not that I'm putting myself in any league with a lyricist, but sometimes, the inspiration for something and the result are in completely different places. Just as an example, I've posted a few poems in the creative works forum and people have seen things in them that I never even thought of. That's what's so great about words and music. People coming from all perspectives. It's the mood, the feeling and the emotion that drive me when I read lyrics or listen to music.

Quote: I think it is the duty of the Artist to communicate what he sees and feels...and the duty of the audience to interpret it, and each person has permission to put his on "spin" on it, to digest it, as he needs, so there are lots of ways to think about it...most of the time an artist will not tell "what it means" except the most off-hand remark...I remember Paul McCartney said Yesterday was inspired by scrambled eggs, lolol...and I couldn't see the meaning in that song for anything when I was young...but man can I cry over it now, you can't put real life on "rewind"...

Hahah...so true. Layne Staley said Man in the Box was inspired by a discussion over lunch about vegetarians. It can start one way but end up in a completely different plane. It's that journey that is so cool.