View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #20
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) If they are running the show, then no, it isn't because in most cases the majority get what they want. I just don't see the big deal of allowing same-sex marriages. And I loathe the fact that the administration chooses to focus on this issue when there are far more serious issues to tackle.

I hate to change the topic, but I view using a minority status to gain priviledge just as much oppression as the oppositve view as well. For instance, affirmative action. Why should certain people be given jobs, scholarshps, or anything for that matter based upon a certain item (race, sexual preference, etc.)? I was unable to attend a certain university because i could not afford the cost, while someone else from my highschool was able to attend that university because they received a scholarship - solely because they are labeled a minority. Is this right?

I agree that this administration is focusing on this issue when there are more important things to be discussed, however since a majority of Americans (from recent polls) are against same-sex marriages, it's an issue that he can win over the public with. It's all politics... (although I'm not sure if a majority are in favor of amending the Constitution?)

I don't care if same-sex partners are given all the same legal rights as married people. In fact, I encourage that. Let them split the bills 50/50 and fight over who gets the house when they separate. However I think that marriage is a tradition and should be left that way.

Regardless of the separation of church and state, this country was founded on religious principles. This is one religious principle that needs to stay intact.

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"