Thread: NHL sucks
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 11:28 PM   #6
Steve
Administrator
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via AIM to Steve Send a message via MSN to Steve
Quote: (Originally Posted by Dogstar) Both the owners and the players are to blame. The owners created this mess by paying the outrageous salaries in the first place, so I have no fricken sympathy for them. And you're right about the TV money, it just isn't there. Plus, there are too many teams, and the talent pool has been diluted, IMO. The playoffs take too long. A champion team has the potential to play 28 more games beyond the regular season. That's almost a third of a season in addition to the regular season. Both the players and the owners are seriously shooting themselves in the foot in this case. It's ridiculous.

I disagree with regards to the playoffs taking too long. I think it's perfect. In fact in the AHL (minor leagues to the NHL) my home team won the championship last year. GO MILWAUKEE ADMIRALS!! Sure the games extend into April/May but it's worth it. The problem with hockey in the states is that it seems to be an underrated sport. Hockey is only on television on ESPN and on ABC at the end of the year. That's it. If there was more time for it on network television, I truly think more people would get into the sport.

I also disagree with the number of teams. I think it's just perfect. The problem with diluted talent can be resolved with a salary cap I believe.

I do agree that the players and owners are to blame, however it's now time to get on the owners' side. If the sport is going to prosper, there needs to be a salary cap. Teams with less money can't compete. Football (and basketball?) has survived with a salary cap, I think hockey can.

I think it's far too late now to save the sport. With another lockout this year, I think the NHL is going to go down the tubes. At least there's still exciting AHL hockey!! I Just got home from the first game of the year - Milwaukee Admirals beat their arch rival Chicago Wolves 4-2 GO ADMIRALS!!

The things that I've loved the things that I've lost
The things I've held sacred that I've dropped
I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget
- Audioslave, "Doesn't Remind Me"