View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 PM   #8
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by Read JDM
I'm 24 and I'm disappointed with a lot of people my age but it goes beyond that. I'm just turned off by society in general. I think too many people bow at the altar of the almighty dollar, and yet, when it comes down to it, I think the same people find ways to limit the free enterprise and inalienable rights of everyone else. I think too many people have no respect for anyone other than themselves, with unrealistic world perspectives and no historical perspectives at all. I also think too many people believe wrong is right and right is wrong, but they believe this way for rebellious, reactionary reasons, rather than because it's true. Everything nowadays is just whatever it is, blah, blah, blah, give me this, I want that, blah, blah, blah, I'll sue McDonalds because it made me fat, so screw you if you're in my way, etc., etc., and so on. I don't think societies are ever perfect, really, but I think America is poised for a cultural revolution. It's been 40 years since the last and we're long overdue. I'm afraid it might be bloody if it waits too long, but hey, I'm just one guy, what am I supposed to do?

I have to agree with you on this. I'm 41 and what irks me most about the 20-somethings---and not all are like this--- but it seems they want all the top jobs without having to put in the sweat and time. They want to make the money I'm making (not that it's tons), but without putting in the 20 years I have put in. They almost think they are entitled to knock off all us older folks who are standing in their way. They also seem much more materialistic and self-centered. Shopping is a major pasttime with the ones I know, whereas for me shopping is something I do when I need something, not something to pass the time.

And you are so right about a lack of historical perspective. They don't even want to know what happened before the era of the Brady Bunch. It's scary. I also think television has contributed in a big way to the downfall of our society. It's been a friggin babysitter for most parents (my generation of parents) and it has done nothing but turn young people into mindless consumers who can't think for themselves. Again, I'm not trying to generalize or stereotype, but this is the general sense I get from the 20-somethings I know.