View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Tool - Vicarious (Leaked)

Quote: (Originally Posted by bilal) but ur also not paying for it...........and many people after getting the leaked copy.......wont buy from the artist.........and no money will reach to those who desreve it.............if the artist do it themselves....then its fine.....but you and i both know that it is piracy..............i wont listen to alter bridge new album if get leaked today........c'mon.........how would u feel if ur music gets on net.....without u even knowin it............

Obviously, we see this from different perspectives. I understand everything you are saying. The problem goes far beyone people simply not paying for the single. The structure in place does not benefit the artist anyway. They get precious little from sales, and just because I happen to download does not mean I'm keeping them from making any money when I fully intend to buy the CD as I would have if I didn't hear the single. And I'm not naive enough to think the artist doesn't know it's out there. As I said, I wouldn't be surprised if the artist was behind the leak.

To be honest, if they'd put it out on iTunes, I'd pay the 99 cents to get it. And I will be paying for it when the record comes out. Look, the same thing happened on a much smaller scale years ago when friends and I would swap tapes. I'd tape an album to cassette for them and vice versa. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality. If you choose not to download, that's fine, and I respect that. But I don't feel I'm actually stealing it when in the end, I will be paying for it as if I never heard it. To me, this is like hearing it on the radio only it's through the computer. It's just another source.