View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
souldancer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by allison
I guess I feel like if the person has a terminal disease, is suffering, and is of sound mind to make the decision, they should be able to choose to die sooner, rather than later, after they have suffered (and thus caused the ones that love them to suffer), and used up any resources they may have (and may have wanted to leave for their family or a charity).  What do you think?
I think 'sound mind' is an important issue - but, who is to judge that? Americans are so into clinging onto life at all costs and putting their resources into the gods in white coats, they they don't view the beauty of a dignified death. I vote for quality - not quanitity. As for monetary resources to leave behind, I didn't think about that. I believe we each should write down our final intentions now about life support,burial, service. We come into this world without asking, we shoud at least leave in some way that speaks to our wishes and will. When death taps me on the shoulder, I would like to be able to just lay down and die on a cliff above the ocean. Unfortunately, I doubt my life here will end that way. But, who knows? Until that One Last Breath...I will work (and sometimes it feels that way) to fully embrace Life here and now -