View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #19
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by HeavenBesideYou) John 3:5, "Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit.'"

Some say that water here means baptism. But that is unlikely since Christian baptism hadn't yet been instituted. If this verse did mean baptism, then the only kind that it could have been at that point was the baptism of repentance administered by John the Baptist (Mark 1:4). If that is so, then baptism isn't necessary for salvation because the baptism of repentance is no longer practiced.

If someone maintains that baptism is necessary for salvation, is he adding a work, his own, to the finished work of Christ? If the answer is yes, then that person would be in terrible risk of not being saved. If the answer is no, then why is baptism maintained as being necessary the same way as the Jews maintained that works were necessary?

Heaven

In the New Testament, after Christ is born, he goes about his ministry and gained followers. Though they were not technically known as "Christians" they were called the "Followers of Christ." They became the foundations of would later be branded by men as "Christian."

Personally, I don't know why you say that baptism of repentence is not practiced, because it is the essential part in the conversion to Christ. One is baptized as a symbolic "washing away of sin" which is repentence. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying you have to be baptized every time you sin. It is showing the changing of an old life into a new life with Christ. When baptized, you promise to turn away from your old ways and live a Christ-like life.

Lastly, I personally do not know of any Christian church that claims baptism isn't necessary. If you could please tell me some, that would be much appreciated.

H-D

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"