View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #23
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: Originally posted by souldancer
The question here should really be - 'what kind of society, parental development and educational system produces these generalized 20 year olds?'..they aren't this way for NO FRIGGIN REASON!  And, I see lots of 50-60 year olds with the same narcissistic qualitites.  I'm not denying that we have a problem, just would like to see some constructivity.  Was it Mandella that said, 'be the change you want to see?'  Why can't this wealthy, educated nation nurture children to be 20 year olds filled with integrity?! We can produce lots of sophisticated weapons and high tech media devices...but, when it comes to developing healthy, vital, whole self-realized compassionate humans - I guess we are blind to the long-term investment!

its the allmighty dollar. if you remember the first day the stock market opened up after 911, what did everybody do? they all sold thier stocks. bill maur was the only one i remember saying anything about it and he got shit listed for it. its money.... why do most kids want to be rock stars? fame and money. why do record execs hire bands that they know we'll want. money. why do college kids want to grow up to be doctors, lawyers, computer geeks (me intended, with a pun!), architects, or business majors? money. how many kids do you actually see wanting to be teachers? i admire a person who wants to grow up to be a high school teacher. anyone can teach elementary and middle school. college professors dont care as much as high shcool teachers cause they spend most of thier years trying to reach tenure. i tutor kids in math and computers, i've thought of going into education as something to fall back on, but its just not as tempting as the computer world. sure its a lot less stress full than the the IT world and theres more satisfaction then almost anywhere else, but that doesnt seem to be the motivation i need to make a career change.