Thread: Hurricane Ike
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Mulletman
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Hurricane Ike

Unfortunatley I survived. I know some of you out there are crying but im still here. In all seriousness, my family and I are fine. We didnt evacuate because I am part of my company's Continuity Team, so we were expecting to be evacuated by them. The final decision was made that the storm wasnt strong enough to mandate a force evacuation and that we could evacuate under out own discresion. Apperently Ike proved everyone wrong.

My family and I did prepare for the worse, we had enough food and water to last us for a week. I eneded up riding the storm out with my mom in the burbs. We didnt buy a generator though, didnt think we'd need one. My family overall faired the storm pretty well. We mostly had damaged roofs and blown fences. But I personally suffered more damage than that. My apartment had these big loft windows that provide a beautiful view but allowed wind and rain to get into the place. The unit itself suffered some structural damage, but my beds and other furniture were soaked and knocked over. The only thing that wasnt damaged was the TVs, computers, and electronics. Thats because I put those in the closet under loads of heavy blankets and tarps. Anyway Geico cut me a nice fat check (which by the way for 45 bucks a month Gieco gets me $50,000 worth of coverage! I strongly recommend renters insurance. You fuckin never know!!)

The hurricane was pretty bad but the worst was after the storm. I barely got power in my complex earlier today. Our water pressure came back last night but I am still afraid to take normal showers. I live right next to one of our treatment plants and even though its power was restored right away you can tell its not fully operation yet. For those of you who havent been through a hurricane, you have no idea how horrible it is to wake up and walk out your door to see all the destruction around you. The only thing scarier than that is driving at night in a huge city with no power at all. Nothing but darkness and destruction around you.

We all were informed of the worst case scenarios by our local news team but I never imaged what I was going to see. When I went back to my place to survey the damage I saw normal hurricane-esque damage and didnt think much of it. It wasnt until I got to my place and started to look around. One of my windows has a perfect view of Reliant Stadium, I only live about 5 minutes away from it. The retractable roof was blown away. I didnt actually get to see the news coverage until Tuesday. I was completely blown away.

But yea, so how was your weekend?