View Single Post
Old 02-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
RMadd
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by TremontiWanaB) But you weren't FORCED to do so. The Point is, That student's have no choice in what they want to take... cept for 4 classes your entire high school career. you can't take art and music in the same yr. a foriegn laguage and art. a foriegn language and music. some people would like to take only 3 years of science...(not take biology freshman yr) but if you take any math class that isn't the lowest math... you're forced to take biology. the fact is. they're taking our individuality over a stupid test that doesn't count for anything. I attend one of the best public schools in IL... and because of this Test... we're in jepardy of losing funding among other things...
You're right, I wasn't forced. But I took them all four years because I knew what was good for me ("highly recommended" by colleges I was looking at). Many students, I would, are unlike me, as they take classes that are easy, and not beneficial to their knowledge in the future. I can see how you might be a bit ticked off b/c, it seems to me, your high school has some odd requirements for what classes you take. Or maybe it's just b/c I'm really tired and am not fully comprehending what you're saying about your high school's requirements. Just a question: how many classes do you have each semester/year?
And, at least at my high school, I know many people who did art and music in the same year, some even did choir on top of that, and were still able to take other required classes. And if your high school is, in fact, one of the best in your state (I don't doubt what you say), then you should have no trouble worrying about receiving funding. Missouri has had tests for a few years now (at least a few, I'm not sure how far back they go) that determine a school's level of funding. Problem is, most students either blew them off or didn't do well b/c their level of education wasn't where it needed to be, b/c they took blow-off classes instead of those that are truly important.

Last edited by BearFan : 02-08-2004 at 03:15 PM.