View Single Post
Old 08-24-2003, 08:11 PM   #16
bgivens33
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
"In God we Trust" first starting appearing on coins during Civil War times. It was basically a feel good type gesture to try to get everyone to refocus on God. It didn't consistently appear on all money until the 50's. In the 50's it was voted as our national motto. It was basically a slap in the face to the russians who were looked at as heathans. The supreme court ruled it ok because they said it was more a ceremonial deity. I'm not really saying you are wrong about this, I'm just giving some background.

Common belief - Our founding fathers were Christian.

Actual Fact - Our founding fathers were deist or Unitarians.

I'm not sure when the Church tried to re-write history and claim our founding fathers were Christian, but I can assure you, they weren't.

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."
-Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

During John Adam's administration they ratified the Treaty of Peace and Friendship which states in Article 11....
"the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion."

T. Jefferson -
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Treaty of Tripoli - Passed during Washington's presidency. "The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."