View Single Post
Old 04-24-2004, 12:02 AM   #24
SmilinSkullRing
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson) You Speak of Bob Dylan and Eddie Van Halen, but those particular artist haven't recording anything new for awhile.

I can't speak about Eddie, but I can speak about Bob. Bob Dylan just put out one of his best albums in 2001, before that he put another classic album in 1997. The 1997 album, Time Out Of Mind, happens to be my favorite Dylan album. He still has the ability to write amazing songs and play. He's currently been on his Neverending Tour for over 10 years. He's playing much more than many artists half his age. Granted, you may get a so-so Dylan show when you go see him, but you also have a chance to see one of the best concerts of your life from a living legend.

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mr.Anderson) And yes talent does dry up, you get older you get slower and you do lose some ability or speed. And yes dogstar it is easy to get emotion and passion in lyrics espically when you live a hard life and know first hand what others have went through and then you deliver your song through how you feel or how you think they feel. Its not a hard thing to grasp. And yes I know he worked hard for years but his music still is linear to some of these upcoming underground bands. And again I'm and perfectly aware on how to get to the listener, its just that my band hasn't gotten the break like Mr.Springsteen has. Oh yeah and do not talk to me about needing a broader perspective. I garuntee I have listened to more types of music and genres than you ever will. I listened to stuff from the early 20's all the way to the latest stuff today. Trust me I have a wide ass Perspective. One more thing I've heard all of Springsteens albums.

And just for the record. I don't hate Springsteen. I just believe he's an extremely overrated musician. Thats my stance on the whole matter.

Talent dries up to an extent. That songwriting will always be there. Someone as amazing as a Springsteen or a Dylan will never go from being a perfect 10 to a 0. Any artist can lose a little something but that fire, that passion, and most of that ability will usually still be there unless under extreme circumstances.

I don't know about your band, but Bruce was playing from the time he was 16/17 years old until he was almost 24 before getting signed to a label. He worked his ass off playing up to 4 hours sometimes. Not many (no bands that I can think of) boast that. The guy who signed him, John Hammond, also signed Bob Dylan. He knew the talent when he saw it.

I listen to music from Mozart to Marilyn Manson....that's neither here or there.

You also said that Bruce's music is linear to upcoming underground bands. Does that really matter? He's got much respect from many musicians in the music industry from Dylan to Eddie Vedder. I even read Kurt Cobain liked Bruce. I'm not just namedropping, but I'm letting you know who he has impacted and who finds and found him relevant. They range far and wide from the late greats Joe Strummer and Johnny Cash to Mike Ness from Social Distortion.
The less I find that I understand" ~ Porcupine Tree

http://www.last.fm/user/SmilinSkullRing/