View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #37
SecretWeapon
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Homosexuality Is Result Of Genes, Brain Structure, Hormones, Contradicts fundies.....

Quote: (Originally Posted by snake81) crap, cant edit

Anyway here's what i found out about slavery and it was definatley taken out of context during the slavery times in the US.

Quote: The Bible does not specifically condemn the practice of slavery. It gives instructions on how slaves should be treated (Deuteronomy 15:12-15; Ephesians 6:9; Colossians 4:1), but does not outlaw the practice altogether. Many see this as the Bible condoning all forms of slavery. What many people don’t understand is that slavery in the Bible times is completely different from the slavery that was practiced in the United States in the 1700’s and 1800’s. The slavery in the Bible was not based on race at all. People were not enslaved because of their nationality or the color of their skin. In Bible times, slavery was more of a social status. People sold themselves as slaves when they could not pay their debts or provide for their family. In New Testament times, sometimes doctors, lawyers, even politicians were slaves of someone else for one reason or another. Some people actually chose to be slaves so as to have all their needs provided for by their master.

The slavery of the 1700’s and 1800’s was based on skin color. Black people were considered slaves because of their nationality – most slave owners truly believed black people to be “inferior human beings” to white people. This is similar to the slavery the Jews experienced when they were in Egypt. The Jews were slaves, not by choice, but because they were Jews (Exodus 13:14). The plagues God poured out on Egypt demonstrate how God feels about racial slavery (Exodus 7-11). So, yes, the Bible does condone slavery. However, the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.

Again, amen. And also, in the Bible, Lunar Shadow (pardon me, I still
don't know your real name) where does it say that having blue eyes,
or blonde hair, etc is a sin? (not to mention height, weight, shoulder
breadth, metabolism, breast/genital size) Nowhere I know of.
And, methinks, nowhere you know of, either. Yet the Bible does plainly
name homosexuality as a sin and strictly condems it. It is then you who
are in error, because, even if Theism is a fantasy, you failed to take
into consideration the laws of that fantasy before arguing
against its laws. Free will refers to the way you act and behave
and, ultimatly, live your life.

Also, you can't hold any individual responsible or accountable
for previous Christians sins. At least, not without accusing all
Christians of being identicle (which is obviously not plausible, when considering all the different denominations and cults).
And, as I remember, you corrected me of that same mistake
in atheists/evolutionists/uniformatarionists,etc.

Last edited by SecretWeapon : 03-26-2006 at 09:11 PM.