Thread: Book of Mormon
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #39
Higher_Desire
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Wow. That took the better part of an hour to read. Where to begin, where to begin...

Firstly, one of my professors here at school (not a mormon) taught me very early that in order to understand anything, you cannot only know the "what." You also have to know the "why." Anyone can say something that sounds intelligent, but you need the solid proof to back it up.

Although there is truth to Joseph having a talisman, it is not all as you explained it. Whether he had it around his neck when he died, I don't know, but what I do know is this. During that period of history, mythological healing was practiced by many. Joseph's mother was Presbiterian. His father was Methodist. Good luck charms were widely used. One such example is that it was believed you could cure warts by having someone rub a cut up onion on it, say some sort of Greek or Roman prayer, throw the onion out the door, and you would be fine. We look at that as "whoa, those people were weird." When in reality, at the time, it was not. Just as taking medicine today is practiced, people in a hundred years may look at us like we were weird for what we put in it. These types of healings are also spoken of in the Bible. The plant known as Balm of Gillead was a healing plant. Also in Biblical times, you can read of Urims and Thummims. They were essentially Prayer Rocks. When people would pray, these these rocks (that they would go outside and find) were the focal point. Now what do we do? Clasp our hands or fold our arms, close our eyes, and bow are head. Times change. If he was indeed burried with the Talisman, in the end, is not up to him, but up to whoever prepared his body for burrial. Probably Emma Smith.

I never knew Joseph liked calling himself Enoch. If a story has a parallel... whoopdy doo. Many stories do. Many stories of the early Assyrians and Phenocians (as written in Homer's Illiad and Oddyssey) were believed to be myths, yet historians are proving as true. Maybe this is just one more.

We don't teach that Jesus had wives. All we know is what has been written. Nothing has been written by any church official that says he did.

It is believed (through revelation of Moses) that heaven IS the star of Kolob. It is where heaven is. God and Jesus live in Heaven. Where do you believe heaven is? If it is in the clouds, why have I not seen God when I've flown in an airplane? We cannot have "celestial children" as we wish. Children can ONLY be concieved on earth. There is no "making babies" in heaven.

I have heard of no teaching that says we have our own planets. Yes, we can become gods, but we don't rule ourselves. Take this for example. If you work on a construction site and want to do work on the roof, you have to check with your foreman to see if it's ok or if he wants you to work on siding. Just because we believe that ALL PEOPLE will become as gods, not only mormons. Just becuase you have the power, doesn't mean thats all you spend your time doing. Addressing your next point again, women will have the same capibilities, and will not be bearing children in heaven.

There was not "vote" between Lucifer and Jesus. Jesus said that God's will would be done. Lucifer wanted his way. God chose Jesus. Yes, I have read Romans. One of my favorite Bible verses is Romans 1:16.

The Mark of Cain is not necessarilly literal. What it means is that he was in some way marked that other's would know what he had done. Yes, at one time many believed that this "blackness" was literal. Although blacks were allowed into the church, they could not hold the priesthood until it was better understood that ALL worthy men could hold the priesthood. The church is of God and not founded on biggotry. How can people claim that a church founded on the principles of God and Jesus Christ and their unconditional love for us, and that we can all return to live with them someday be an appostate and worship a devil?

Things don't change with a prophet dies and another is called. They recieve revelation from Jesus and God and uphold the church. There was a lot of controversy in the Church when Spencer W. Kimball recieved the revelation that blacks could hold the priesthood and many people left the church because of it. Equal rights are different today than they were a hundred years ago. Just like what I addressed before about medicine. In the Old Testament, the people would offer burnt sacrifices to God. We don't do that anymore. Do you think we should? Since God wanted it and now it's all different?

I have never heard of the prophecies being edited. What do you mean "Egyptian stuff"?

We believe that the most correct translation of the Bible (other than the original Hebrew and Greek versions) is the King James Bible. You can go buy it at any bookseller. Over time, language changes. The King James Bible is not the first english translation. There were many before that. King James had it translated in 1666 by 24 scholars. We believe it to be the most correct. The New International Verson, the New King James, the New Revised Standard, and all the rest, although good, are different from the original. Things that would be said then now have different meanings. Not in all, but many aspects. The King James Version is not even 100%, so to copy in in modern-day language changes even more. A professor of mine who is Jewish has commented that although the King James is very good, it's not as accurate as the original Hebrew. He also says that Mormonism and Judiasm are extremly similar, and though he doesn't believe in the BoM, he has great respect for it. He has a doctrate in History and has studdied over 50 religions. Do you want me to believe now that Judiasm, one of the world's oldest religions, is an appostacy?

BYI? I think you mean BYU. It stands for Brigham Young University. Anyone can attend it if they so choose. Just like any other school. Institute is a program that is taught where there is no LDS run school. Here on my campus, for example. Trust me. BYU is fine. I'm telling you all this because you DON'T know what you are talking about. Like I said in the beginning, to know what you are talking about, you can't only know the what, but also the why.

The idea of Monotheism began thousands of years ago with the Hebrews around 1600 BCE, or 3600 years ago. Before that, to the Assyrians, Mesopotamians, Egyptians, and many others, were Polytheistic. Even that has changed. Which is correct? The bible doesn't date back that far. The bible is based in Judiasm.

In old days, people use to use a stick to find water in the ground. Sounds ludacris, right? We have little to no need to do that today, therefore it was stupid they thought they could do that. In the book of Isiah, we are taught that Jesus is the stick of the redeemer and will lead us to everlasting waters.

1 Samuel 16:7 states that men judge based on the outward appearance, but the Lord judges based on the intentions of the heart. Our intentions are good. All the people of the world will be judged according to his or her own actions. If we (all people of the world) do what we should, as governed by God, we will live with him again someday.

One last teaching of Jesus Christ: "Judge not lest ye be judged." Come back anytime with more brain-busters.

Just out of curiosity, what religion do you believe in?

H-D

Facelessman -- Thanks for your input as well.

Today I'm gonna try a little harder
Gonna make every minute last longer
Gonna learn to forgive and forget
'Cause we don't have long
Gonna make the most of it

Today I'm gonna love my enemies
Reach out to somebody who needs me
Make a change, make the world a better place
'Cause tomorrow could be one day too late

--lyrics from "One Day Too Late" by Skillet
from their new album "Awake"