View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #86
Lunar Shadow
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Atheism growing in America

Quote: (Originally Posted by justify) I think it is you and not I who does not understand the meaning of the word theory. A theory is not a fact. A theory is an idea or a group of ideas that try to explain or interpret a fact. Evolution has never been proven. To prove it the scientific method would have to be applied. But the scientific method cannot be applied can it. Was anyone there to witness the birth or mankind, the earth and the universe? No. Can evolution be reproduced? No. So where does that leave you? You must have FAITH in evolution. But let’s just say for the point of argument that Evolution is the way we came about. Couldn’t God have created the process of Evolution? The fact that you think matter always was doesn’t disprove God either. There is no difference in you believing that matter has always been and me believing that God has always been. It seems you atheists like to always say “the burden of proof is on those who believe in God”. It sounds like a backdoor answer to me.

define Theory

1*a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world; an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena; "theories can incorporate facts and laws and tested hypotheses"; "true in fact and theory"

2*A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

3*A plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain natural phenomena

Now if you want to actually know how a sceintific Theory works it goes like this.... you start out with a hypotheses wich is an idea on how something works or why something does something. then you test it and test it agian and again (experement) and based on the results then you form your theory... a good theory has few assumptions and and more proven fact the stronger a theory is. now if you want to take on evolution then this one has very few assumptions and many facts in it it is probably one of the strongest theories (accepted as scientific fact). now if you want to look at your position (i.e. creation it isn't even a hypotheses). I really haven't explained how scientific theory works in lay terms but I hope something here helps.

But the whole thing of "Evolution is a theory! not a fact!" is the Battle Cry of the fundamentalist right wing who believe in a NON-SCIENCE (its not even pseudoscience) called Creation Science it is trying to fight its way in to the class room once agian contributing to the educational decline in the country... we need to teach children how to think not what to think. Because that is what is why our educational system is failing and the prime reason is because fundamentalist type are trying to cross the line and try to get religion tought in schools that is one of the reasons that everyone has misconceptions about the theory of evolution and the scientific theory for that matter.I posted a link to the Series Evolution 101 maybe you should check it out I think it is available for download on iTunes as well. maybe you sould actually check it out before you reply to this post you might learn something rather than taking the Straw Man that Christianity has created and tering ti to sherds (also a fallacy).