View Single Post
Old 06-18-2004, 03:06 AM   #16
Echelon122
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Some artists love downloading. I recall Dido made it big cause she had a following cause of Napster years back...that's how she got her name out.

The only songs I downloaded on Napster in the day were Parodys (which you can't find on actual CD's to buy), Live version (this was before I knew about bootlegs LOL), and stuff like that...things that people didn't put out there to actually buy.

I'm semi-torn about downloading....casue CD prices are insane nowdays. I remember when $9 was a LOT for a CD, when you could get them for $7.50 and $8. Now the average CD is $12-15 dollars. When I figure that into what I make...I make $8 an hour...it takes me 2 hours of work to get one CD.

I always wondered how they figure out what % goes to the actual artist themselves...what % to the record company, producer, enginieer, managment, artists, all that fun junk. On one CD it's pennies...but you add millions to that and it's a decent chunk....plus revenue from tours and merch and other liscensing and publishing...I don't really feel bad if the John Lennon estate doesn't get my money ..ya know?

But at the same time...I know a lot of smaller Christian bands...that CD's are how they make their living. They're independant bands, and I know the money goes directly to support their ministry and to help them have gas money and food. I gladly plunk down the $10 a CD for them in a heartbeat cause I know where it goes.

I usually hear songs on the radio and buy the album when it comes out or I want it anyways. I guess I do feel that they put their craft out there for people, they should earn their keep from it. If I were in their shoes, I'd want people to recognize my job as well. *shrug*

Now if they could actually prove that Napster, Kazza, et all actually had made a real dent in CD sales, I might have not thought Lars was such a dick-head the way he went about trying and getting Napster shut down. Maybe bad CD sales mean people don't actually like your stuff.

I might be a newbie here, but I've been
around a long time.