View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
uncertaindrumer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Is Hugo Chavez Crazy?

Quote: (Originally Posted by RalphyS) It's not an assumption, it's pure experience. I've been to the States 4 times and for the most part Americans know little of the world's geography, politics outside the US or the bigger part of history.

This happened to me once:
Where are you from? Holland, that's in Tennessee (could've been another state, I don't remember exactly), isn't it?

This is all easily blamed on our public "school" system. Seriously. Americans are stupid, not because they are born dumb, but because they are taught in school that mediocrity is to be fought for, D- is a passing grade, and individuality is shunned. Kinda funny coming from a country that loves its independance so much. (It really comes from the fact that ADULTS love their independance, and as long as the teachers can fit everyone into a little compartment, the don't need to spend the time necessary to truly teach our children).

I digress.

Quote: I know that Americans usually do not care about much outside their country

Well... that is not really true, but from a certain standpoint it is. I mean, why on Earth would I care what goes on in Timbuktu? For better or rowse, when America does something, it matters (we are the most powerful coutnry in the world), so other people know about it. When Sweden does something... it doesn't usually matter nearly as much, so we don't really care.

But as for this attitude that others have towards Bush... you aren't alone. No one in America--except a few die-hards--likes him either. Republican candidates don't want him campaigning for them because it drives their polls DOWN...

We don't like him. But we are stuck with him... for... two... more... years... *hyperventilates*