View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 10:59 PM   #24
evyllsummer
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Yeah, the thing about Chris is that, in the beginning, with Louder Than Love, Screaming Life, etc, he was big into the high screaming...not singing...but screaming...(you cats got me in the mood...listening to "Hunted Down" on Screaming Life...), and that's just what he is doing on the masterpiece intro to "Loud Love". His natural register was in the tenor range, but, when Andrew Wood died, I think that it had a huge effect on Chris, and on Temple of the Dog, he really started to develop his baritone stuff, which could have also been the result of the chain smoking and damage. In any case, for whatever reason, Chris started to develop more texture (as Amber called it) to his voice, and, at that point continuing until...I'll say Superunknown, that texture was for the better. However, the toll taken is too great now, as the texture has taken over his range and limited it. Now he still sounds great, I'm an old school Cornell fan, as I was introduced to Louder Than Love back in '89. But, Chris couldn't touch his older stuff these days...wow, back in the day, though...

In contrast, if you listen to the first Citizen Swing album (circa 1992), that was Myles just getting a hold on the singing thing, and he was great. But, from that point forward, he has gained in power, range, and facility on every subsequent album. This is because Myles applies method to his technique, getting up in the morning to do scales, he watches his diet, etc.