View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
But I Thought The Earth Was 6,000 Years Old

I'm not sure how many people here actually believe the earth is 6,000 years old. But, there is a controversy and a disagreement between many hard scientists and many "young earth creationists" about the age of the planet, or even the universe perhaps.

You all know where the 6,000 year old theory comes from, basically. You start with Adam as the "first person" and you count from there, and you get 6,000 years, roughly.

Now, there are a number of problems with that, even. First of all, there are some, like the pastor of the church I've studied with for several years, that believe that each "day" of Genesis is actually a period of 1,000 years. Where does that thought come from? Well it comes from 2nd Peter 3:8

But beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

We measure our time in terms of how "long" the earth it takes the earth to rotate around the sun, and really the sun is not even put into place or created in that sense until the fourth "day". Time naturally is a different concept both to God and to anyone in a spiritual body than it is to us when we are in flesh bodies.

So you have then this notion that instead of the first day being 24 hours, it is 1,000 years. I believe and agree with the notion even that man, being the races of man, were created on the sixth day, the seventh day God rested, and then the eighth day God formed Adam. The Hebrew gives two different words for "man" in Genesis 1:26, where it is adam, meaning mankind, on the sixth day, and notice even it says He created both male and female.

Then He rested on the seventh day, then the eighth day comes along and there's no one to till the ground. So in Genesis 2:7 he forms man, but man being eth-Ha'adham "this same man Adam". So we have a separation here between adam (mankind), and eth-Ha'adham (Adam the man). So you see, Adam (eth-Ha'adham) was not even the first man.

So you have then 8 days, or let's even say 8,000 years. Add that to the point where the calendar starts at about 4004 BC to now, and you're looking at 14,000 years. But 14,000 years is still far too short of a time for this world to have existed according to science. So is science wrong, or is God's word wrong? Or is it maybe that neither is necessarily wrong, but it is ignorance of God's Word by many christians that causes the problem? Let's take a look and see if we can figure this out.

Jason