View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 01:10 PM   #69
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Quote: (Originally Posted by kariyanine) You also have to look at the market that is out there. It is easier for a new band (Alter Bridge) to crack into the scene than it is for a new "rock" solo artist. When Scott decided to go completely solo and not form a new band he made it harder on himself. BUT Scott has a built in fanbase. Say what you want about Alter Bridge having had a built in fan base but their was die hard Creed fans who knew what was going on. Scott has name recognition, everyone knoes who he is. It's kind of like Rob Thomas's solo debut. Everyone knew that Thomas was the lead singer from Matchbox Twenty so he already had a built in base.

It's pretty rare for a solo artist to exceed the popularity of his initial band. Look at Chris Cornell. Euphoria Morning is a great album, but it didn't really sell well even though everyone knew who Cornell was.

Quote: The problem is that you also have to play to the pop radio crowd. He might get radio play on some rock stations but mostly, at least at the start, will be on pop stations. He would have needed something that sounds more "pop" for his first single. Once again look at Rob Thomas's first single "Lonely No More" it is much more poppy/dancey than anything that he ever released with Matchbox Twenty. But his second single is more along the lines of where MB20 fans expected his music to go. I think the same will be true with Scott. Look for "The Great Divide" to get alot of airplay, possibly more than Alter Bridge got with "Open Your Eyes", and then look for Scott's second single to be closer to what you were thinking.
MB20 wasn't real rock to begin with, so I 'm not sure Thomas' situation applies here. They always seemed pretty light to me. Creed were rock first, especially with MOP. HC definitely had more pop songs and Weathered had a few rock tunes, but more pop than HC.

And Steve, you're right about the editing and all. It was just nice to hear his voice sound good ...

Titan, I would be shocked if it sold 20,000 the first week, but that's just me.