View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: But I Thought The Earth Was 6,000 Years Old

Ok then, just a quick review or recap of what I've brought out here. God created the heaven and the earth. Then the earth became without form and void. It wasn't created that way, but something happened to make it come to pass that way. Also, it's somewhat in error to even try to set a date going back to Adam's appearance as the first man, because again, Adam wasn't the first man to begin with.

But now let's look a look at this "without form and void" and let's find out what that says in the Hebrew. The Hebrew terminology for this is "tohu va bohu" Now, this phrase basically is a phrase for something being laid to waste. In this case it's the very earth being laid to waste. But I want to break this down further.

Strong's # 8414 tohuw (to'-hoo); from an unused root meaning to lie waste; a desolation (of surface), i.e. desert; figuratively, a worthless thing; adverbially, in vain: KJV-- confusion, empty place, without form, nothing, (thing of) nought, vain, vanity, waste, wilderness. (DIC)

Strong's # 922 bohuw (bo'-hoo); from an unused root (meaning to be empty); a vacuity, i.e. (superficially) an undistinguishable ruin: KJV-- emptiness, void. (DIC)

Ok, now let's put a little more force behind Genesis 1:2 by utilizing the Hebrew, paraphrasing a little.

"And the earth becamean empty place, a waste, an undistinguishable ruin", whichever you prefer. Again, became that way, not created that way!

Why would God Almighty create a worthless thing? He wouldn't. Everything God creates and created was or is good at the beginning. If it's an individual with free will, they can go bad. But they weren't bad or worthless at the beginning. God created everything for His pleasure, as it states in Revelation 4 in the last verse. Do you personally take pleasure in worthless things? Do you think God takes pleasure in something that's worthless? In something that's a waste? Does God create confusion? No He doesn't.

I Corinthians 14:33 "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints."

But guess what. If God is not the author of confusion, guess who is? It shouldn't take more than one guess, it's Satan. Now you maybe can even extend that guess out from there and figure out who caused the earth to be put to waste.

But you know, God's Word really never leaves us wanting, because if you have any doubt whether or not God created the world tohu, I'll take you to Isaiah 45. In this chapter God kind of describes Himself a little and even starts out talking about how he uses a king that does not know Him in Cyrus the Great of Persia to accomplish His will and His plan, and from there just kind of sets His divine attributes in terms of creation and what He has power and dominion over, which of course is everything. But let's look at 45:18 of Isaiah.

"For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God Himself That formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord, and there is none else.

Do you know what that word "vain" is in the Hebrew? It's tohu. Well, I thought God created the earth that way. No, He just said He did not, that He formed it not to be an empty place, but to be inhabited.

We can even go one more verse. You think God does things in in vain or as a waste of time?

Isaiah 45:19 I have not spoken in secret, in a dark place of the earth:
I said not unto the seed of Jacob, Seek ye Me in vain:' I the Lord speak righteousness, I declare things that are right.

He's saying, I'm not hiding anything here from you. I'm not out in some dark corner of the earth where you can't find Me. Again, guess what this word "vain" is? It's tohu! God does not deal in emptiness or worthless things that are a waste. So no one should try to say that He created the world in that state, He didn't.

We'll continue on with this some more.

Jason