View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 01:08 AM   #23
hayley
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Contact:  Send a message via MSN to hayley Send a message via Yahoo to hayley
Quote: (Originally Posted by aussiecreeder) You have a point but isn't the result a slippery slope? What kind of life does the 90 year old man have who can't feed or bathe himself but is otherwise functioning fairly normally? What is the limit? Are we no longer human when we can't do things for ourselves? If so when does a baby become human? Human babies are COMPLETELY defenceless for at least the first year of their lives if not longer.
You have a good point, although babies are different, they are in the safe care of their parents. (Most babies are anyway). Like Mulletman said, they are still developing. To be honest with you, I think being old and crippled, having a mental disease, or anything that does not give you the capibility to live a normal life, is human cruelty. (Obviously with old people it's abit different if they are willing to carry on living, but any other case where nothing can be changed, I consider as cruelty). I have a very strong opinion on that. Do you remember when I told you that I was scared of getting old, it's because I'm horrified of being 80 years old, lying in bed hardly being able to move my body. What kind of life is that? I hate the thought of what will happen. To be perfectly honest, I would rather die before I hit that stage.

Anyhow back to the topic, to me like I said before keeping Terri alive in that condition was absolutley cruel, they said that she wanted to live, but I can just not see how that can be possible. Not being able to do anything it just makes me sick. It's not fair to ANYONE with similar conditions to live in that way, they must want to die. As for old people, well I mean most of them want to stay alive but I just don't know how they can want to, I guess that's a whole different topic though.
Cape Reinga, to the fiords in the south.
Harbour lights in the City of Sails
Aroha, the love that never fails
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out.'

- Beautiful Day, Auckland, NZ - 24 Nov 2006