Thread: NIN leaks!
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #15
Muad'Dib
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Few more little articles if anyone is interested.

From this week’s issue of Kerrang!
Reznor decided to take a couple of years off to sort himself out after 1999's "The Fragile" and is now preparing himself and his bandmates for the release of their long-awaited fourth album "With Teeth".
"I'm feeling really good about things. Like I have a different brain in my head. I took a couple of years off to find out who I was, to get my shit together. I came out to Los Angeles in January of 04 and the whole album was pretty much written in four months. It just kind of flew out of me. I wrote the basic arrangements and thought I would finesse them when I went back to the studio in New Orleans, but then I found that it didn't need anything else. A lot of the stuff I shit out in the rehearsal room ended up being the final takes. It might be laziness creeping in, but it felt like all I had to say, that I'd expressed it perfectly. I don't feel like I need to hind behind all that stuff any more."

*WARNING*The following text contains SPOILERS*

With Teeth: What's the Score?
Transcribed by Richard Payne
Publication: Kerrang! 2005-03-23
All The Love in the World - Skittering beats, icy synths and a pulsing bassline make for an understated intro, before a mammoth riff kicks in at the 4 minute mark, shattering the calm.
You Know Who You Are - Starts with a pounding drum intro that recalls GnR's "You Could Be Mine". Builds into a clattering industrial cacophony as Trent screams "Dont you fucking know what you are?". Terrifying.
The Collector - Another thunderous drum intro leading into the gargantaun chorus hook "I'm trying not to choke!". An explosive anthem thats up there with the classic "Head like a hole".
The Hand That Feeds - The lead-off single and the most commercial song Reznor has ever writed. Propelled by a fuzzed-up bassline and another magnificent choruse its a guaranteed rock club floor filler.
Love is Not Enough - Builds to a thrilling instrumental conclusion featuring - unusually for Trent - a rising wah-wah lead guitar figure: "I've gone all this way just to end up back at the start"
Every Day is Exactly the Same - More epic melancholy as Trent croons the line "I used to have a voice, now I never make a sound". A stately hymn for depressives everywhere.
With Teeth - Either about sexual obsession or drug addiction, depending on how you read it "She comes on strong, ske makes you feel better than anything you've tried" whispers Trent, before the whole thing explodes in a hail of glorious distortion.
Only - Loose limbed yet intense this upbeat stomp (There is no you, there is only me) boasts an insistant, poppy keyboard line that recalls "Closer"
Getting Smaller - A frantic, blazing eyed howl of despair and self-loathing "I think I'm losing my grip, but I can still make a fist/still got one good arm so I can beat myself up". Clearly age has not blunted Reznor's rage.
Sunsports - Dark, Depeche Mode-style atmospherics as Trent declares a wish to "fuck in fire" just to "spin the ashes round". Disturbing.
The Line Begins to Blur - Another scarily intense track. The bass here is used almost as a percussion instrument with a single fathom-deep bass note pounding like a kick drum throughout the song.
Besides You In Time - The album's most explicitly druggy moment. A beatific synth drone created a mood of ecstatic stillness. At the four minute point Trents redemptive coda (we will never die) arrives like the sun breaking through clouds. Astonishing.
Right Where It Belongs - Over a glacial keyboard backdrop reminiscent of Radioheads "Kid A" Trent sings the heartbreaking line "When you look at your reflection, is that all you want to be?". A desolate masterpiece that will make friends with anyone who loves "Hurt".

Source: www.theNINhotline.net posted 03/23/05 @ 9:54AM

REZNOR'S DRUG STRUGGLE

NINE INCH NAILS frontman TRENT REZNOR became a self-loathing drug abuser following the release of his band's 1994 album THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL.

The eccentric singer began losing his lust for life after Nine Inch Nails finished a gruelling tour, reaching a low point while working with shock rocker MARILYN MANSON on his ANTICHRIST SUPERSTAR disc.

Realising he was rapidly losing his grasp on reality, Reznor made the brave decision to quit his hedonistic lifestyle in favour of gaining a fresh perspective.

He says, "I was a terrible addict. With the success of that album, we were on tour for a real long time. It was great, but when the tour ended I went straight into doing the Antichrist Superstar record with Marilyn Manson.

"Pretty soon I realised that I was getting f**ked up a lot, pretty much every day. I was primarily drinking, but with a few drinks in me, if someone suggested getting some cocaine, it would seem like a fantastic idea.

"And it still seemed like a great idea 24 hours later, picking through the grain of the carpet looking for more. But the price wasn't just feeling bad the next day. I was starting to hate myself. I had to get my life in order. I'm feeling really good about things." Posted: March 23, 2005 @ 21:35

Source: http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlf...rug%20struggle

Also nin.com has been updated, check the Current and Access sections. Hes revealed the cover art for With Teeth.
Some days my skin just isn’t so thick