Thread: Creed's legacy?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2003, 10:48 PM   #22
Dogstar
Forum Diplomat
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
LOL, yes, we appear to differ on some of those opinions, but it makes for interesting discussion ...

I'm generally not a fan of rap or even rap/rock, but musically and lyrically, Rage really drew me in. Tom Morello is one kick-a** guitarist.

For the record, Last Kiss was a cover, and I, too, loathe that song. I hated the original and it remains the one PJ song I despise . I just can't see how you can discredit Pearl Jam's influence, though, especially vocally.

You must have listened to the wrong tracks, because I think Soundgarden (especially with Superunknown and Down on the Upside) really rocked. Zeppelin-esque vocals (you have to love Chris Cornell. Well, I guess you don't, but I do ). And I think Eddie Vedder is a terrific storyteller. I love the pictures he paints with his words, but again, that's just me. I never said rock had to be limited to that particular style, though. There is room for plenty, and diversity is a good thing.

Tool, though, is more early-to-mid nineties, as are the Foo Fighters, though that band is enjoying more popularity now.

Quote: Having these kinds of acts set the standard for what rock should be is unacceptable. Rock shouldn't be directly associated with only that type of music.

I don't think it was. There was plenty else coming out of that time period than the so-called Seattle sound (which really wasn't one sound, IMO). There was just so much focus on those bands from the media. I mean, Nirvana couldn't sneeze without hitting a photographer or reporter in those days. And I wouldn't call it so much a revolution in music, but more of a reaction to what had been out there earlier.

Quote: Bands like 12 Stones, Sevendust, Boysetsfire, Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, Blink 182, Tool/A Perfect Cricle, Chevelle, Disturbed, Kid Rock, Hoobastank, Korn, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Staind, TrustCompany, AFI ( Namely, Sing the Sorrow only ), System of a Down, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Adema, Audioslave, Dashboard Confessionals, Finger Eleven, Flaw, and so on, have cleaned up and defined the broad spectrum of rock that we have today.

I don't agree that this era is better all around, even though there are some wonderful bands out there. Personally, and this is just my opinion, Jimmy Eat World, The Strokes, Dashboard Confessional, Blink 182, Weezer, Trust Company and The White Stripes sound like retreads of stuff from the past. I haven't seen a lot lyrically from them that impresses me too much, either. And their music is boring to me, but that's just me.

I don't know Boysetsfire, but I do like Audioslave, APC, QOTSA and Chevelle.

Staind started off great with Dysfunction, but has deteriorated IMO into to a softer mode that just doesn't impress or move me. It sounds like everything else out there, like Default, Nickelback, Seether...none of that rocks my socks the way the 90s did.

Quote: I'm sure Evanescence, as inwardly hollow as they are from a true rock standpoint, fill a need for rock. Somewhere. And that's what matters!

They fill the record label's need to make money. I can't listen to radio anymore because I'm tired of being force-fed what I think is formulaic mediocre rock. There isn't enough diversity on the airwaves to get me to listen. It's all about selling and creating to fit what the execs think the kids will buy. God forbid we hear something a little different, like the Mars Volta or something. That band is amazing, lyrically and musically. But you won't hear that one because it's not cookie-cutter music.