Thread: Jeremiah
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Faithwalker012
USER INFO »
Currently: Offline
Re: Jeremiah

Jeremiah 8:5 "Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return."

It's a fair question by our Father. Most people when they realize something just isn't working and the road they're going down is taking them the wrong way, they turn back and go the other way. But these people hold fast to their traditions, to their religion, to their way of doing things. Friend, your Father wants to help you. Obey His voice and walk in His ways and it will be well unto you. Why do something counterproductive? But, how do you know His ways? You study His word. Not, "well my pastor says this, the guy on television says that, and the person on the internet said this. What does God say?

Jeremiah 8:6 "I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle."

God is saying, I listened, I studied the situation. I waited for and watched for someone to do what is right and repent. But no one did.They continued with their falsehoods and rushed forward with them. They didn't turn back to Me so that I could turn back to them. I can't help but think of the several times in Revelation where it's mentioned that those who receive the mark of the beast do not repent. For some people doing things God's way is just apparently too much. When actually, it's very easy. Again, there's no one perfect. But He doesn't expect you to be. He only expects you to care enough and think enough of Him that when you do mess up you come to Him and say, "Father I'm sorry. I messed up. Help me to do better next time. He stamps that as perfect, and you've got a fresh start. Turn back to Him so that it may be well unto you.

Jeremiah 8:7 "Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD."

This is saying that even the birds (turtle being turtle dove) know basically when to fly south for the winter, to make it plain and simple. God's people are smarter than the birds... or at least they should be. But yet they don't know His Word or His ways. Why is that? They don't study. Again, you can be a fine church going Christian. But if you set in a church pew for 50 or 60 years and you listen to a pastor feed you a verse here, a verse there, and spend 20 minutes of his sermon talking about Aunt Betty's pies, where he's going for lunch, last night's baseball game, or just plain and simple recycled traditions of man, then spiritually speaking your rib cage is showing even though you've gone there every Sunday for your entire life, basically. You haven't been fed the meat of the Word of God, and you're starving. Get out of tradition.

Jeremiah 8:8 "How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain."

The translation here is not the greatest. What this is saying is God is telling them, "You say we have the law of God or the word of God but your scribes have changed it. The word vain is sheqer, and it means a lie or falsehood. In other words, you think you have my Word but you're relying on the words of a bunch of men that have nothing to do with what I said. You've let them tell you what it says rather than reading it for yourself. As a good pastor says, it's not a sin to be biblically illiterate. It is a sin to stay that way.

Jeremiah 8:9 "The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them?

This word taken is interesting. It's lakad in the Hebrew and it means seized, captured, or ensnared like in a trap. Relying on your own wisdom or the wisdom of other men will trap you. Where does true wisdom come from? Proverbs 1:7 The fear(reverence) of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and instruction.